Solving SUVAT: Finding T from 2.5m/s to 7.5m/s over 45m

• Thread starter benbrooks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suvat
In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem involving a mass accelerating from 2.5ms^(-1) to 7.5ms^(-1) over a distance of 45m. They know they need to use the equation s=0.5(u+v)t, but are struggling with rearranging it to solve for t. They provide their attempted solution, but acknowledge that it is incorrect and express a need for help with algebraic manipulation. The expert suggests multiplying both sides of the equation by 2, then dividing by (u+v) to solve for t. They also encourage seeking additional help with algebra.
benbrooks

Homework Statement

A mass accelerates from 2.5ms^(-1) to 7.5ms^(-1) over a distance of 45m. Find the acceleration and the time it takes to do this.

Homework Equations

I know I need to use s=0.5(u+v)t

But I have no idea how to rearrange it to find t, I am useless at rearranging equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got t=0.5(u+v)-s

I know I did it wrong because I have the answer to the questions here, But It's not really what I'm looking for.

I need to know how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if I gave you the equation [itex]y=Ax[/itex]...could you solve it for [itex]x[/itex]?

The "0.5(u+v)" part of the equation is the "average speed." Quite literally it is one half of the sum of initial and final velocities. If it is written as (u+v)/2 it makes more sense.

But I am guessing (based on the way you wrote the unit for velocity) that your textbook, or teacher, likes to put everything "above the line."

Anyway, to solve for t, multiply both sides of the equation by 2, then divide both sides by (u+v).

Warning: you better get better than "useless" at algebraic manipulation really quickly, otherwise Physics will get impossible for you. This is one of the main features of problem solving. Get tutorial help ASAP

Chi Meson said:
The "0.5(u+v)" part of the equation is the "average speed." Quite literally it is one half of the sum of initial and final velocities. If it is written as (u+v)/2 it makes more sense.

Something in your explanation made everything click into place. I guess the late nights aren't helping at the moment. Thanks very much and I'm looking into getting extra tuition.

Thanks once again,
Ben

Related to Solving SUVAT: Finding T from 2.5m/s to 7.5m/s over 45m

1. What is SUVAT and how is it used in solving problems?

SUVAT is a set of equations that are used to solve problems related to motion and kinematics. The letters stand for displacement (S), initial velocity (U), final velocity (V), acceleration (A), and time (T). These equations can be used to find any of these variables if the others are known.

2. What is the given problem and what is being asked to find?

The given problem is finding the time (T) it takes for an object to accelerate from 2.5m/s to 7.5m/s over a distance of 45m. The problem is asking to find the time (T) in this scenario.

3. How do you solve for time (T) using the given information?

To solve for time (T) in this scenario, we can use the equation T = (V-U)/A. We know the initial velocity (U), final velocity (V), and acceleration (A) from the given problem, so we can plug those values into the equation to find the time (T).

4. What are the steps to solve this problem?

The steps to solve this problem are as follows:

1. Identify and write down the given information (U, V, A, and S).
  2. Choose the appropriate SUVAT equation to solve for time (T).
  3. Substitute the values into the equation.
  4. Simplify the equation and solve for time (T).
  5. Double check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can this problem be solved using other methods besides SUVAT equations?

Yes, this problem can also be solved using other methods such as using the equations of motion or using graphical methods. However, SUVAT equations are a commonly used and efficient method for solving problems like this.