Solving Summations: Tips & Tricks for Homework

In summary, the equation 2.1.1 has a term with a red dot that is not properly summed because it neglects particle self interactions.
CMBR

Homework Statement

See the attachment, I am stuck as to how the summation sign [itex]\sum_{b\neq a}^{}[/itex] in (2.1.1) ends up as [itex]\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex] in the term with the red dot above (2.1.5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I understand you end up taking the product of two summations such that [itex]\sum_{a}^{}(\sum_{b\neq a}^{})=\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex], but I don't really understand the logic here.

just trying to understand, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Help.png
    Help.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a subindex ##a## missing from what should be ##\dot{\bf r}_a## from equation 2.1.4 and subsequently in ##\ddot{\bf r}_a## in 2.1.5. The rest is just inserting 2.1.1.

yeh I got that but once you insert 2.1.1 i don't get how the summation in front of the red dot term is [itex]\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex] once you sub 2.1.1 you get [itex]\sum_{a}^{}(\sum_{b\neq a}^{})[/itex], I don't really understand how that works

Last edited:
You are making a sum of sums. It may help to write the sums out for a small number of particles, let us say 3:
$$
\sum_{a} \sum_{b\neq a} F_{ab} = (F_{12} + F_ {13}) + [F_{21} + F_{23}] + \{F_{31} + F_{21}\}
$$
where the term in () is the term originating from the sum over ##b \neq 1## for ##a = 1##, [] for ##a = 2##, and {} for ##a = 3##. Now ##\sum_{ab}## is a bit of a bastard notation. If assuming that we by this mean ##\sum_{a=1}^3 \sum_{b=1}^3##, then we get some additional terms ##F_{11} + F_{22} + F_{33}##, but the particles do not exert forces onto themselves so these can be taken to be zero.

Likes 1 person
Yeh I sort of came to a similar conclusion myself, the issue was that I didn't get why you can use the notation [itex]\sum_{ab}^{}[/itex] if you neglect particle self interactions, the notation in that case is not strictly true then? Wouldn't it be better to keep it in the form [itex]\sum_{a}^{}(\sum_{b\neq a}^{})[/itex], anyway thanks for the clarifications!

Last edited:

Related to Solving Summations: Tips & Tricks for Homework

1. What is a summation?

A summation is a mathematical notation that represents the addition of a sequence of numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (∑) and the numbers to be added are written below and above the sigma symbol.

2. How do I solve a summation?

To solve a summation, you can use various mathematical techniques such as the summation formulas, properties of summations, and algebraic manipulation. It is important to understand the given sequence and the type of summation before attempting to solve it.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve summations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve summations, especially if the sequence is long and complex. However, it is important to note that some calculators might not have specific summation functions, so you might need to use alternative methods to solve the summation.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving summations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving summations include incorrect application of summation formulas, miscalculations, and skipping steps in the solution process. It is important to double-check your work and to show all the steps in your solution to avoid errors.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving summations?

Practice and patience are key to improving your skills in solving summations. Make sure to understand the concepts and techniques involved, and practice solving different types of summations. You can also seek help from tutors or use online resources for additional practice and tips.