Solving Subtracting Vectors Homework Problem

In summary, the student is attempting to solve a homework equation that is not apparent to them and does not remember how to add vectors.
Balsam

Homework Statement

3 m/s [E] - 5 m/s [N]

Homework Equations

I don't know how to solve this- is this done algebraically or another way?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue. Would this be different if the directions were not like this--- 3 m/s 50° east - 5m/s 67° North. I have no idea how to figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on your question you have 3m/s E. This leads me to believe that the vector is due east. Likewise with the 5m/s north.

Do you recall how to add vectors?

Subtracting is merely A-B = A+(-B).

RJLiberator said:
Based on your question you have 3m/s E. This leads me to believe that the vector is due east. Likewise with the 5m/s north.

Do you recall how to add vectors?

Subtracting is merely A-B = A+(-B).
Is this a graphical or algebraic method? I don't remember how to add vectors, either.

If you look at it graphically, we have 3 m/s due east, meaning right on the x-axis. x=3
We have 5 m/s due north, meaning y = 5

A+(-B) would mean you flip B, and then place the tail of B to the head of A. Now you have a right triangle, what can do you with a right triangle to find the missing values?

Suppose you had a vector 3i - 5j , where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions. Would you know how to find the magnitude of this vector?

RJLiberator said:
If you look at it graphically, we have 3 m/s due east, meaning right on the x-axis. x=3
We have 5 m/s due north, meaning y = 5

A+(-B) would mean you flip B, and then place the tail of B to the head of A. Now you have a right triangle, what can do you with a right triangle to find the missing values?

You find the length of the hypotenuse and acute angle? What would you do if the 2 vectors didn't form a right triangle- you wouldn't be able to use pythagorean theorem to find the hypotenuse length

In this case you could break up the actual components of each vector.

If vector a was 5 m/s and at 45 degrees north of east, then you have an angle and the hypotenuse.
You should know/recall from trig that cos(angle) = a/h so h*cos(angle) = a
Now you have the velocity of that vector in the due east direction. You can do the same with sin to find the velocity in the due north direction.

Once you break up the components of the vectors, you can add/subtract the components as necessary and then pull everything back together.

RJLiberator said:
In this case you could break up the actual components of each vector.

If vector a was 5 m/s and at 45 degrees north of east, then you have an angle and the hypotenuse.
You should know/recall from trig that cos(angle) = a/h so h*cos(angle) = a
Now you have the velocity of that vector in the due east direction. You can do the same with sin to find the velocity in the due north direction.

Once you break up the components of the vectors, you can add/subtract the components as necessary and then pull everything back together.
Thank you!

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Solving Subtracting Vectors Homework Problem

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities.

2. How do you subtract vectors?

To subtract vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same coordinate system and then add the negative of the second vector to the first vector. This can be done by changing the direction of the second vector or by using the component method where you subtract the corresponding components of each vector.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector subtraction?

Scalar subtraction involves only subtracting the numerical values of two quantities, while vector subtraction also takes into account the direction of the vectors. Scalar subtraction results in a single numerical value, while vector subtraction results in a new vector with its own magnitude and direction.

4. Can you illustrate the process of solving a subtracting vectors homework problem?

Yes, the process typically involves identifying the coordinates and components of the vectors, ensuring they are in the same coordinate system, subtracting the corresponding components, and then finding the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

5. What are some real-life applications of subtracting vectors?

Subtracting vectors is commonly used in navigation and mapping, such as finding the difference in position between two points on a map. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving forces, velocities, and other physical quantities.