Solving Strain in a Box on the X-Y Axis: A Homework Problem

In summary: The normal strain Eac along this diagonal can be determined using the given strains in the x and y directions, as well as the shear strain in the xy direction. To find theta, use the equation provided and solve for the angle that results in the given normal strain value. The answer is approximately 60 degrees. In summary, the problem deals with determining the normal strain along a diagonal in a box with given strains in the x and y directions, as well as the shear strain in the xy direction. The angle theta can be found using an equation and solving for the given normal strain value. The answer is approximately 60 degrees.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

I've got a problem that I can't figure out. It deals with strain.

I've got a box, sitting on the x-y axis(like normal x-y axis's are). The box extends 4 inches from the origin in the x direction, and 2 inches up. Going clockwise(starting at origin) the corners are labeled A, D, C, B.

epsilon(or strain) in the x direction is = + 880 u in/in.
strain in y direction = + 960 u in/in
and finally, the shear(or gamma) strain in the xy direction is = -750 u radians.

Need to determine the normal strain Eac along the diagonal AC(there is a line from A to C).

u is micro...so x10^-6.

Homework Equations

strain(E) = (Ex +Ey)/2 + (Ex - Ey)/2 *cos2(theta) + gamma(xy)*sin2(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry for so many words, I don't know how to make symbols. I hope you get the picture of how I explained it. Basically, I think this box is stretching upwards and to the right(slanted to the right and to the "up", from the origin).

My question is, what is theta...the rest is pretty obvious...I can not find theta.

My answer sheet say the answer is 596 u in/in. And, using that equation, I put in theta's and found about 60.15 degrees to work. I can't for the life of me, find how 60 degrees works though.

I appreciate you help.

Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this not understandable?

Theta is the angle between the x-axis and the AC diagonal.

Related to Solving Strain in a Box on the X-Y Axis: A Homework Problem

1. What is the purpose of solving strain in a box on the X-Y axis?

The purpose of solving strain in a box on the X-Y axis is to understand the behavior of a material under stress. This can help predict how the material will deform and ultimately fail in real-life situations.

2. How is strain defined in this problem?

In this problem, strain is defined as the change in length or shape of a material due to applied stress. It is typically represented as a percentage or decimal value.

3. What is the X-Y axis and why is it important in solving strain in a box?

The X-Y axis is a coordinate system used to plot points and measure distances in two-dimensional space. It is important in solving strain in a box because it helps visualize the deformation of the material in a specific direction.

4. What are the key steps in solving strain in a box on the X-Y axis?

The key steps in solving strain in a box on the X-Y axis include determining the initial dimensions of the material, applying stress to the material, measuring the resulting strains, and calculating the final dimensions of the material using strain equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving strain in a box on the X-Y axis?

Solving strain in a box on the X-Y axis has many applications in engineering and materials science. It can be used to design and test structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircrafts, as well as to understand the behavior of materials in manufacturing processes or natural phenomena.