Solving Statics Problem #3: Find V,F, & M at Points P & Q

• Thread starter Skycart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, Skycart suggests that the student list the equations themselves and show their work. They also ask how the student would go about acquiring reasonable equations for a particular section.
Skycart
So I'm totally stumped on how to start this problem. Anyone want to give me some clues.

Thanks,

Homework Statement

Find V,F, & M at points P and Q. Show direction. Answer: 13.3, 750, 1000, 290, 877, 700

Homework Equations

This is problem #3 on the attached document.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 20%3b7.1-7.2.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 240
Physics news on Phys.org
Please try uploading it to a file sharing site so that we may view it. It is pending approval

Hello, Skycart. The PF rules state we are not allowed to tell you how to approach or solve your homework problem. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math.

skycart as nvn said list the equations and you will get yourself started. Also could you please explain M,F, and V

V, F, and M would be internal shear force, axial force, and moment.

Ahh yes how could I forget V as shear force. Ok thanks.

Thanks for the info about posting on the forum. I didn't list equations because there are not really any conventional equations like in physics. About the only thing to do is sum the x and y forces and then sum the moments. V stands for shear force. M stands for moment. F stands for axial force. Thanks for the replies!

Skycart said:
Thanks for the info about posting on the forum. I didn't list equations because there are not really any conventional equations like in physics. About the only thing to do is sum the x and y forces and then sum the moments. V stands for shear force. M stands for moment. F stands for axial force. Thanks for the replies!

These are equations no?

Now how would you go about getting reasonable equations for that section?

Related to Solving Statics Problem #3: Find V,F, & M at Points P & Q

1. What are the steps involved in solving a statics problem?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the system, identifying all the forces acting on it. Then, apply Newton's first and second laws to set up equations for the system. Next, determine the unknown variables and solve the equations using algebraic methods. Finally, check the solution by plugging it back into the equations and making sure they are satisfied.

2. How do I find the forces and moments at specific points in a statics problem?

To find the forces and moments at a specific point, P or Q in this case, you will need to use the equations of equilibrium. These equations state that the sum of all forces in the x, y, and z directions must equal zero, and the sum of all moments about any point must also equal zero. By setting up and solving these equations, you can determine the forces and moments at the desired point.

3. What is the significance of finding the forces and moments at specific points in a statics problem?

Knowing the forces and moments at specific points allows you to understand the behavior of the system at those points. This information is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand the forces acting upon them and remain in equilibrium.

4. What if I encounter a statics problem with more than two unknowns?

In statics, you will often encounter problems with more than two unknown variables. In these cases, you will need to set up additional equations to solve for all the unknowns. These equations can come from additional free body diagrams or using other principles such as the principle of virtual work.

5. How can I check if my solution to a statics problem is correct?

The best way to check the solution to a statics problem is to plug it back into the original equations and see if they are satisfied. If the equations are not satisfied, then there is an error in your solution, and you will need to go back and check your work. Additionally, you can also use common sense and engineering judgment to verify if the solution is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.