Solving Static Friction: 3 kg Block & 99 N/m Spring

In summary, the problem involves a 3 kg block colliding with a massless spring of spring constant 99 N/m attached to a wall, with a speed of 1.5 m/s at the moment of collision. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the floor is given as .703416. The question asks whether the block will remain at rest or bounce back off the spring once it is fully compressed. The first two parts of the problem have already been solved, with the spring being compressed 26.11 cm and the coefficient of kinetic friction being .467 if the maximum distance of compression is 15.667 cm. The conclusion is that the block will likely remain at rest due to the larger force needed to
glasshut137

Homework Statement

A 3 kg block collides with a massless spring of spring constant 99 N/m attached to a wall. The speed of the block was observed to be 1.5 m/s at the moment of collision.

(3 of 3) Given: the coefficient of static friction between the floor and the block is .703416. Does the block remain at rest or does it bounce back off of the spring once the spring is fully compressed?

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved the first 2 parts of the question, i found that the spring will compress 26.11 cm. Also, I found that the coefficient of kinetic friction is .467 if the maximum distance to which the spring is compressed is 15.667 cm.

My guess is that the block would remain at rest because it would would a larger force to break through the force of static friction. Can someone tell me if I'm right or wrong and can please explain? thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can computer the force of the spring and the static friction and check if the force that the spring exerts is indeed too small.
This shouldn't be hard since you correctly answered 1&2 and computed the compression of the spring

I would agree with your conclusion that the block would most likely remain at rest after colliding with the spring. This is because the force of static friction, which resists the motion of the block, is greater than the force exerted by the spring. Since the block is initially moving at a speed of 1.5 m/s, it would require a greater force to overcome the static friction and continue moving. Therefore, the block would most likely stay at rest once the spring is fully compressed. However, it is important to note that there are other factors that could affect the outcome, such as the surface of the floor and the accuracy of the given coefficient of static friction. Further experimentation or calculations may be needed to determine the exact outcome.

Related to Solving Static Friction: 3 kg Block & 99 N/m Spring

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from sliding against each other. It acts opposite to the direction of motion and must be overcome in order for the surfaces to move.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction, meaning more force is needed to overcome static friction and initiate motion.

What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction is affected by the coefficient of static friction, the normal force between the two surfaces, and any microscopic imperfections or roughness on the surfaces.

How can the coefficient of static friction be determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of force needed to overcome static friction and initiate motion. This can be done by gradually increasing the force on an object until it starts to move, and then using the formula μs = F/N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction, F is the applied force, and N is the normal force.

How does a 3 kg block and a 99 N/m spring relate to solving static friction?

In this scenario, the 3 kg block is being held in place by the spring, which is exerting a force of 99 N. The magnitude of static friction must be at least 99 N in order to keep the block from sliding. By determining the coefficient of static friction, we can calculate the maximum force that the spring can exert before the block starts to move.