Solving Square Root Questions: A Math Tutorial for Beginners

In summary: Oh. Well I guess that explains it then. God!Ok, so you leave the sq rt then at 25 but it's ok to put it back to 5?Since $5\cdot 5=25 \Rightarrow 5^2=25$ we have that $ \sqrt{5^2}=\sqrt{25}\Rightarrow 5=\sqrt{25}$.
OMGMathPLS
How does this work? (Also, I am very math illiterate and do not understand even the most basic terms, if you could kindly speak as you would to a child I would GREATLY appreciate it.)

sq rt sign over 13^2 - 12^2 (over both of it together)

Now the answer is 5, because

(13)(13) - (12)(12)

149-144 = 5

But what canceled out the sq rtt? We did the exponents so did that cancel it out?

Thanks for help.

View attachment 3248

Attachments

• showthework.jpg
    showthework.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Several of your steps are invalid.

1) $\sqrt{a^2 - b^2} \neq a - b$, i.e., the square root and the difference of squares do not "cancel out". For example, let $a = 5$ and $b = 4$. $a^2 - b^2 = 5^2 - 4^2 = 25 - 16 = 9$ and $\sqrt{5^2-4^2} = \sqrt{9} = 3$ whereas $4 - 3 = 1$.

2) What you wrote in the attachment was $\sqrt{13^2 - 12^2} = 13^2 - 12^2$. Where did the square root go? This is an invalid step.

3) $13^2 = 13 \times 13$ is actually $169$, not $149$. So your calculations are void.

Can you recalculate the expression now that your have been pointed out?

OMGMathPLS said:
How does this work? (Also, I am very math illiterate and do not understand even the most basic terms, if you could kindly speak as you would to a child I would GREATLY appreciate it.)

sq rt sign over 13^2 - 12^2 (over both of it together)

Now the answer is 5, because

(13)(13) - (12)(12)

149-144 = 5

But what canceled out the sq rtt? We did the exponents so did that cancel it out?

Thanks for help.

View attachment 3248

You have a mistake at your calculation.
It is $13^2=169$ instead of $149$.

Therefore, $$\sqrt{13^2-12^2}=\sqrt{169-144}=\sqrt{25}=5$$

Oh. Well I guess that explains it then. God!

Ok, so you leave the sq rt then at 25 but it's ok to put it back to 5?

Note that $25 = 5^2$. Thus, by commutativity,

$$\sqrt{25} = \sqrt{5^2} = \sqrt{5}^2 = 5$$

OMGMathPLS said:

Since $5\cdot 5=25 \Rightarrow 5^2=25$ we have that $ \sqrt{5^2}=\sqrt{25}\Rightarrow 5=\sqrt{25}$

mathbalarka said:
Several of your steps are invalid.

1) $\sqrt{a^2 - b^2} \neq a - b$, i.e., the square root and the difference of squares do not "cancel out". For example, let $a = 5$ and $b = 4$. $a^2 - b^2 = 5^2 - 4^2 = 25 - 16 = 9$ and $\sqrt{5^2-4^2} = \sqrt{9} = 3$ whereas $4 - 3 = 1$.

2) What you wrote in the attachment was $\sqrt{13^2 - 12^2} = 13^2 - 12^2$. Where did the square root go? This is an invalid step.

3) $13^2 = 13 \times 13$ is actually $169$, not $149$. So your calculations are void.

Can you recalculate the expression now that your have been pointed out?

OMGMathPLS said:

He was really only trying to help without giving direct answers (Blush)

ineedhelpnow said:
He was really only trying to help without giving direct answers (Blush)
Yeah, thanks for the help. It's just embarrassing. I really thought I partially figured it out. So they explained the arithmetic error and it's ok to solve it all the way to a 5 not simplify. Just a dumb mistake I made and I'm praying it won't kill me later. Thanks.

You can do this problem in this manner also
Hint: a^2-b^2 =(a+b)(a-b)
13^2-12^2=(13+12)(13-12)
=25*1

Related to Solving Square Root Questions: A Math Tutorial for Beginners

1. What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 x 5 = 25.

2. How do I find the square root of a number?

To find the square root of a number, you can use a calculator or estimate by trying different numbers until you get close to the original number. You can also use the long division method or the prime factorization method to find the square root.

3. What is the difference between a perfect square and a non-perfect square?

A perfect square is a number whose square root is a whole number. For example, 9 is a perfect square because its square root is 3. A non-perfect square is a number whose square root is not a whole number. For example, the square root of 7 is a non-perfect square because it is a decimal number (approximately 2.646).

4. How can I simplify square roots?

You can simplify square roots by finding the factors of the number under the square root sign and taking out any perfect square factors. For example, the square root of 48 can be simplified to 4√3 because 48 = 4 x 12 and 4 is a perfect square.

5. What are some real-life applications of square roots?

Square roots are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and finance. Some examples of real-life applications of square roots include calculating the distance an object travels, finding the area of a square or rectangle, and determining the interest rate on a loan.