Solving Spring Motion with Friction on Incline

In summary, the conversation discusses a spring with a specific equilibrium length and spring constant being compressed and released with a mass attached to its free end on a frictionless slope at an angle. The conversation then poses three questions about the distance the mass will travel on the slope before coming to rest, both with and without the mass attached to the spring, as well as a question about the coefficient of kinetic friction on the slope. The conversation also includes a suggested equation and method for solving the problems.
harrinj4

Homework Statement

Interesing...

A spring (k=80n/m ) has an equilibrium length of 1.00m . The spring is compressed to a length of 0.50m and a mass of 2.1kg is placed at its free end on a frictionless slope which makes an angle of 41 degrees with respect to the horizontal. The spring is then released.

a) If the mass is not attached to the spring, how far up the slope will the mass move before coming to rest? b) If the mass is attached to the spring, how far up the slope will the mass move before coming to rest? c) Now the incline has a coefficient of kinetic friction. If the block, attached to the spring, is observed to stop just as it reaches the spring's equilibrium position, what is the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

I think the equation is: .5mvi^2 + mgyi + .5 kxi^2 = .5 mvf^2 + mgyf + .5 kxf^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The initial and final velocities are zero. You don't need the final spring configuration because the block leaves the spring.
so
mgyi + .5kxi^2=mgyf
so
2.1(9.8)(.5sin41) + .5(80)(.5^2) = 2.1(9.8)y?

do I want y as the answer or x? and if I want x would y = xsin41?

b) The initial and final velocities are zero.

c) Use Work done by friction = Change in PE (again no change in KE)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your method looks correct for parts a-c. I think that part a is asking for the distance up the ramp so I think figure out the x and y distances and use pythagora's.

Just to clarify (because I'm not sure it is clear yet), they are asking for the distance along the slope, not the vertical or horizontal distance.

Also, the question asks to find how far the mass moves. I interpret that to mean the distance between the mass's final position and its initial position. So if you take "0" as the fixed end of the spring, the answer is not simply the mass's final coordinate.

Related to Solving Spring Motion with Friction on Incline

1. What is spring motion with friction on incline?

Spring motion with friction on incline is a type of motion where a spring is attached to a mass on an inclined surface. The spring is compressed or stretched, causing the mass to move up or down the incline. However, unlike the ideal case, this motion is affected by the frictional force between the mass and the incline.

2. How do you calculate the force of friction in spring motion on incline?

The force of friction in spring motion on incline can be calculated using the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the angle of inclination. The formula for calculating frictional force is: Ffriction = μ * N * cosθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction, N is the normal force, and θ is the angle of inclination.

3. What factors affect the motion of a spring on incline?

The motion of a spring on incline is affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the angle of inclination, and the coefficient of friction. These factors can change the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the mass, thus affecting its motion.

4. How do you calculate the displacement of a mass in spring motion on incline?

The displacement of a mass in spring motion on incline can be calculated using the equation x = A * sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle. The values of A, ω, and φ can be determined using the initial conditions and the equations of motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of spring motion with friction on incline?

Spring motion with friction on incline has several real-life applications such as in shock absorbers, car suspensions, and escalators. These systems use springs to absorb and dissipate energy, while friction on incline helps to control and dampen the motion. It is also used in engineering and physics experiments to study the effects of friction on motion.