Solving Spacetime Homework: Time, Displacement & Clocks

In summary, the homework equations state that: 1) The time it takes for a spaceship to travel 3 meters across space is 1x10^-8 seconds. 2) The square root of 1-2x10^8 is -1.9999999x10^8. 3) The time it takes for Earth to rotate is 5x10^-17 seconds. 4) The displacement of a ship's lights is 1.5x10^-8 meters. 5) The clock that runs slow on Earth is due to its displacement, taking longer to complete an atomic clock.
chevycamaro1987

Homework Statement

spaceship 3 meters wide, v= 2c/3. (a.) calculate ships time, (b) sq. root factor, (c) Earth's time, (d) ships displacement, (e) lights displacement, and (f) which clock "runs slow"

Homework Equations

a. Ts=(3m)/c
b. square root 1-v^2/c^2
c. Earth's time = answer a/b (it tells me to use the two formulas actually, i figured this is equivalent)
d. ships displacement =vt
e. lights displacement= ct
f. which clock runs slow

The Attempt at a Solution

all of the formula have been given to me, i just want to make sure my answers are right.
a. 3m/3.00X10^8 m/s= 1X10^-8 s
b. sq. root 1-2X10^8= -1.9999999X10^8
c. t= -5X10^-17-----should this be a magnitude?
d. 2c/3*-5X10^-17= -1X10^-8 meters
e. ct= (3.00X10^8 m/s)(-5X10^-17) =-1.5X10^-8
g. i think i remember from the lecture that the Earth clock runs slow because of the displacement, it seems like it takes longer.

like i said, i just want to see if my work is right. i have a feeling c is wrong, because time shouldn't be negative. I am pretty sure the formulas are right because my teacher gave them in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem statement is a bit vaque to say the least. What times are you talking about? Is 3m is the rest length of the ship?

OlderDan said:
Your problem statement is a bit vaque to say the least. What times are you talking about? Is 3m is the rest length of the ship?

I honestly don't know. Everything I was given I put in the problem word for word. But it's ok anyways, I took my final today and this problem wasn't on there, but it is kind of annoying that I can't figure it out.

Related to Solving Spacetime Homework: Time, Displacement & Clocks

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into a four-dimensional continuum. It is often represented as a coordinate system where an event is described by its position in space and time.

2. How is time measured in spacetime?

Time in spacetime is measured using clocks. These clocks can be any type of device that measures the passage of time, such as a mechanical clock or an atomic clock. The time measured by these clocks is known as proper time, which is the time experienced by an observer traveling along a specific path in spacetime.

3. What is displacement in relation to spacetime?

Displacement in spacetime refers to the change in position of an object in both space and time. It is often represented as a vector that includes both the spatial and temporal components. Displacement can be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the movement in both space and time.

4. How does gravity affect spacetime?

Gravity affects spacetime by warping it. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects such as planets and stars create a curvature in spacetime that causes other objects to move along a curved path. This warping of spacetime is what we experience as gravity.

5. Can spacetime be manipulated or controlled?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible to manipulate or control spacetime. However, there are theories and experiments being conducted to explore the possibility of manipulating spacetime, such as through the use of wormholes or warp drives. These are still largely theoretical and require a deep understanding of advanced physics concepts.