Solving Spacetime Diagram Homework: Ship Reversal from Cape Canaveral

In summary, a spaceship leaves Cape Canaveral at time t = 0, traveling at 2/3c towards a satellite located 2 AU above Earth's surface. When the ship reaches the satellite, it instantly reverses course and heads back towards Cape Canaveral at 1/3c. The worldlines of the ship and Cape Canaveral can be plotted, with the ship's worldline having a slope of 3/2 until it reaches x=2, at which point it reverses and has a slope of -3/1 until it intersects with Cape Canaveral's vertical line. There are no specific units used in this problem.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

At time t = 0, a spaceship leaves Cape
Canaveral (x = 0) at speed 2/3c, heading
directly upwards (+x direction) toward a
satellite in orbit. The satellite is located a
distance 2 AU (see footnote2 if you forget
what that is) above the earth’s surface.
When the ship reaches the satellite, it
engages its Magic Hyperdrive to instantly
reverse course, and head back toward Cape
Canaveral at speed 1/3c.

Plot the worldlines of the ship and of Cape
Canaveral itself, both as seen from Cape
Canaveral.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is primarily for the "instant reversal" of the ship. I believe that the world line for Cape Canaveral will be exactly vertical and the ship will have a straight line with a slope of 3/2 terminating at x=2. At x=2 it goes in reverse but I'm not sure how this would look in the Cape's frame. Will the line of the ship then go left with a slope of -3/1 until it intersects with the Cape's vertical line? Or is there some other path?

Also, if anyone knows of a website or downloadable pdf that has example problems of these types of problems I'd love to see it/them.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
yep. That sounds right to me. and sorry, I don't know of any websites like that. Maybe there is something useful in the math & science learning materials section of physicsforums.

edit: be careful with the units that you are using though. when you say x=2, there should be units with this.

Likes 1 person
Thank you, for all of our problems we're using arbitrary units.

Thanks again for the help.

ah cool. No worries :)

I would approach this problem by first considering the concept of spacetime diagrams and how they represent the motion of objects in space and time. In this case, the ship's worldline would be a straight line with a slope of 3/2, as you mentioned. However, when the ship reaches the satellite and engages its Magic Hyperdrive, its worldline would not simply reverse direction and continue in a straight line. Instead, it would experience a discontinuity in its worldline, as it would instantaneously change direction and velocity. This would result in a "kink" in the worldline, where the ship's velocity suddenly changes from 2/3c to 1/3c.

In terms of how this would appear on the spacetime diagram from Cape Canaveral's perspective, the vertical line representing Cape Canaveral would remain the same, but the ship's worldline would now have a slope of -3/1 as it heads back towards the Cape. The kink in the worldline would represent the moment of the instantaneous reversal.

In terms of resources for practicing these types of problems, I would recommend looking into textbooks or online resources on special relativity, as well as solving problems from past exams or assignments from courses on this topic. Additionally, there are several simulation tools available online that allow you to plot spacetime diagrams and experiment with different scenarios, which could be helpful for understanding the concept visually.

Related to Solving Spacetime Diagram Homework: Ship Reversal from Cape Canaveral

1. How do I solve a spacetime diagram homework problem involving ship reversal from Cape Canaveral?

To solve a spacetime diagram problem involving ship reversal from Cape Canaveral, you will need to use the principles of special relativity and the equations of motion. This will involve calculating the ship's velocity, time dilation, and length contraction in order to determine its trajectory and position at different points in time.

2. What are the key equations used in solving spacetime diagram problems?

The key equations used in solving spacetime diagram problems include the Lorentz transformation equations, the time dilation equation, and the length contraction equation. These equations are derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity and are essential for understanding the effects of motion at high speeds.

3. How do you account for the ship's acceleration in the spacetime diagram?

In a spacetime diagram, the ship's acceleration is represented by a curved line. This curve represents the change in velocity over time, and can be calculated using the equations of motion. It is important to note that the ship's acceleration will also affect its time dilation and length contraction.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving spacetime diagram problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving spacetime diagram problems include forgetting to account for the effects of acceleration, using incorrect units or formulas, and not understanding the concept of simultaneity. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and to double check all calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any online resources that can help with solving spacetime diagram homework?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help with solving spacetime diagram problems. Some helpful resources include online tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations that demonstrate the principles of special relativity. It is also helpful to consult with a tutor or classmate for additional support and clarification.