Solving Sin theta Questions: An Example

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin Theta
Multiply both sides by z to get2iz sin x = z^2 - 1z^2 - 2iz sin x - 1 = 0This is a quadratic equation in z, so you can use the quadratic formula to solve for z. Once you have z, you can take the natural logarithm to find x, since z=e^{ix}.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

sorry if the title is not that descriptive

Homework Equations

i is the imaginary number
e is 2.7...
x is any anlgle in radians that is... um see the example I explain it

sin x = +/- i/2 (1/e^(ix) +/- e^(ix))

I will use a example in atempt at a solution to show you how to use this equation

The Attempt at a Solution

the first +/- depends on were the angle is located on the unit circle

the second +/- depends on if the angle is smaller or larger than pi/4
- if it is smaller than pi/4 (by the way pi as in 3.14...) just simple enter your angle in the equation above and make the +/- a "-" in its radian measure
- if it is larger than pi/4 take your angle and subtract pi/4 from it and use that as your x and use a "+" instead of minus in the equation

- if anlge is greater than pi/2 use coresponding angle in the first quadrant if you want and just work out the "+/-" in the very beginning of the equation

EXAMPLE

I want to know what the sin of 60 degrees is... I know it is SQRT(3)/2 but i'll use the formula above for a demonstration ok...

so 60 degrees in radians is pi/3 which is greater than pi/4 so I have to add pi/4 from pi/3... I'll do this in degrees sense it is easier... 60-45 = 15 degrees

and now what I want to do is take that angle and do 45 minus that angle
45-15 = 30 degrees = pi/6

now just plug this into the equation above
sin x = +/- i/2 (1/e^(ix) +/- e^(ix))
sin x = + i/2 (1/e^((i pi)/6) + e^((i pi)/6) and the calculator gives .8660254038 i
not really sure why it gives the i? can someone answer that?
if you remove the i this is the exact value for sin pi/3 or simple SQRT(3)/2

try using the equation for other angles for example
sin 1 degree = i/2(1/e^((i pi)/180) - e^((i pi)/180)) = .0174524064 which is the exact value of sin 1 degree

MY QUESTION is how do I go backwards
for example

sin x = +/- i/2 (1/e^(ix) +/- e^(ix)) = SQRT(3)

how do I solve for x?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Physics news on Phys.org
Solving for x is as simple as taking the arcsine...are you trying to solve for x by exclusively using the complex exponential form of sine?

See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula

As far as I can tell, there should be no +/- in the equation, it should all be taken care of.

yes i am trying to solve for x in that formula how do i do this?

You've made using Euler's formula way more complicated than it needs to be. Euler's formula is

[tex]\sin x = \frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]

for any value of x. You don't have plus or minuses depending on what the value of x is.

To go backwards, let [itex]z=e^{ix}[/tex]. Then [itex]1/z = e^{-ix}[/itex], so the formula becomes:

[tex]\sin x = \frac{z-\frac{1}{z}}{2i}[/tex]

Solve for z. Once you have z, you can solve for x.

I don't know were to go from here

2i sin x = z - 1/z

It is a quadratic equation in disguise.

Related to Solving Sin theta Questions: An Example

Question 1: What is the purpose of solving sin theta questions?

The purpose of solving sin theta questions is to find the value of the sine function for a given angle. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating the height of an object using trigonometry or analyzing the motion of waves.

Question 2: How do I solve sin theta questions?

To solve sin theta questions, you can use a scientific calculator or consult a trigonometric table. Alternatively, you can use the trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the expression and find the value of sine.

Question 3: What is the difference between solving sin theta questions and solving other trigonometric functions?

Solving sin theta questions involves finding the value of the sine function, while solving other trigonometric functions such as cosine or tangent involves finding the values of those functions. The process for solving each function may differ, but they are all based on the same trigonometric principles.

Question 4: Can I use the unit circle to solve sin theta questions?

Yes, you can use the unit circle to solve sin theta questions. The unit circle is a helpful tool in understanding and visualizing the values of trigonometric functions for different angles.

Question 5: What are some real-world applications of solving sin theta questions?

Solving sin theta questions can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used in calculating the height of buildings and mountains, analyzing the motion of waves and oscillations, and determining the position of celestial bodies. It is also used in navigation and surveying.