Solving Simultaneous Equations: x^2+y^2=5, 1/x^2+1/y^2=5/4

In summary, x^2=5-y^2=5/4 and 1/(5-y^2)+1/y^2=5/4. However, method 2 gives 4 solutions, one being +or-1 and two being +or-2.
Rach123

Homework Statement

x^2+y^2=5, 1/x^2+1/y^2=5/4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have rearranged the 1st equation: x^2=5-y^2
Then substitued this into the 2nd equation: 1/(5-y^2)+1/y^2=5/4
Found a common denominator: 5/(5x^2-x^4)=5/4
Multiply by the denominator: 5=(25x^2-5x^4)/4
Multiply by 4: 20=25x^2-5x^4

Now I have two methods for factorising which results in different answers: method 1: 4=5x^2-x^4
multiply by -1: x^4-5x^2=-4
x^2(x^2-5)=-4 which gives +or- 1 as the only solutions as -4^0.5 has no real solutions
However, method 2: 4=5x^2-x^4
4=x^2(5-x^2) which gives +or-2 AND +or-1 as the solutions.

Could anybody tell me where I have gone wrong and why the second method gives 4 solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry about all the ^ etc...not sure how to use the tags etc

Last edited:
The methods are fundementally flawed because your method of finding roots only works generally if the equation equals zero. If you treat [tex]x^2[/tex] as [tex]a[/tex], then you would have a quadratic equation, wherein you can find the roots easily. By the way, it may help to know the geometric representation of the two equations, one is two sets of hyperbolae and the other describes a circle, and the circle intersects the hyperbolae at eight different points. Oh and it helps not to change the variable name from y to x halfway, especially since x is already in the equations.

So what you're saying is that it's not possible to solve x^2(x^2-5)=-4 because there isn't a 0 on the right hand side? Instead we should substitute x^2 from the quartic equation and get a quadratic?
Thanks for the reply

Oh I have the solutions now! After getting a quartic in terms of y, I replaced y^2 with a which gave me a quadratic with 2 solutions, I then found the corresponding y values and then the x values. Thank you muchly for pointing out that my method was fundamentally flawed!

Related to Solving Simultaneous Equations: x^2+y^2=5, 1/x^2+1/y^2=5/4

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that have to be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables.

When are simultaneous equations used?

Simultaneous equations are used to solve problems involving multiple variables, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and other scientific fields.

What are the methods for solving simultaneous equations?

The most common methods for solving simultaneous equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the others.

Can simultaneous equations have more than two variables?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have any number of variables. However, the number of equations must be equal to the number of variables in order to solve for all the variables.

What is the importance of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are important in many scientific fields because they allow us to find the values of multiple variables that are connected and affect each other. They also help us model and solve real-world problems more accurately.