Solving Simple Pulley Question: Magnitude of Reaction Force on Pin A

• Thread starter Dalmighty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the problem involves a mass of 11.4kg connected to a long pinned horizontal rod via a pulley. The rod has a mass of 3.8kg and a length of 1.5m, and is connected to a wall with pin A. At the instant where the rod is horizontal, the mass M has a vertical velocity of 6.6m/s. The question asks for the magnitude of the reaction force on pin A, assuming negligible pulley mass and minimal friction forces. The attempt at a solution involves setting up a free body diagram and finding the moment of inertia of the rod, but the question of how the mass's velocity affects the problem remains. Additional information such as the connection point of
Dalmighty

Homework Statement

A mass of 11.4kg is connected to a long pinned horizontal rod via a pulley. The rod has a mass of 3.8kg and a length of 1.5m and is connected to a wall with pin A. At the instant where the rod is horizontal, the mass M has a vertical velocity of 6.6m/s.

Assuming the pulley has negligible mass and all friction forces are minimal, what is the magnitude of the reaction force asserted on pin A?

Homework Equations

W=mg
I[r] = (1/3)*ml^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This question looks really simple, except I'm not sure how the stated velocity of the mass affects the question (if it does).

I started with a simple FBD where
Mg = M[r]*g+R[a]
That didn't work.

I looked at the question, and it was in the kinematics section, so I tried finding the moment of inertia of the rod, which is:

I[r] = (1/3)*ml^2=2.85
and alpha(I[r])+R[a] = Mgl
But without any way to find the angular acceleration... you can't equate it to the moment force caused by the mass.

Does the upwards velocity of the mass cancel out its weight? or is it a distraction from the question? I'm going to guess I overlooked something easy.

Any explanation of how the velocity factors into the question and how to solve this type of question would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show a picture of the set-up?

ehild

Where is the connection of the rope to the long rod, in the middle, on the end? Also, what is the angle that the rope makes with horizontal at the instant that the rod is horizontal?

This information is needed.

Related to Solving Simple Pulley Question: Magnitude of Reaction Force on Pin A

1. What is a simple pulley?

A simple pulley is a basic machine that is used to lift or move objects. It consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs over the wheel. The object is attached to one end of the rope and the other end is pulled to lift or move the object.

2. How does a simple pulley work?

A simple pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by distributing it over multiple ropes and wheels. This allows a person to lift a heavier object with less effort.

3. What are the different types of simple pulleys?

There are two main types of simple pulleys: fixed pulleys and movable pulleys. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and can only change the direction of the force, while movable pulleys have a movable axle and can also provide mechanical advantage.

4. What are some examples of how simple pulleys are used in everyday life?

Simple pulleys are used in many everyday objects and tasks, such as elevators, flagpoles, clotheslines, and window blinds. They are also commonly used in construction and transportation industries for lifting and moving heavy objects.

5. Are there any disadvantages of using a simple pulley?

One disadvantage of using a simple pulley is that it can introduce friction, which reduces the efficiency of the machine. Additionally, if the rope or cable is not properly secured, it can slip off the pulley and cause the object to fall. It is important to use pulleys carefully and follow safety precautions to avoid accidents.