Solving Simple Harmonic Motion Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the speed and acceleration of an object undergoing simple harmonic oscillations. The speed at a certain position can be found using the conservation of energy, while the acceleration can be found by using the formula a = w^2x. However, the same method cannot be applied to find the velocity, as it is not proportional to the position like the acceleration is. The correct formula for finding the velocity is not mentioned in the conversation.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonic

Homework Statement

A 1.00 kg object is attached to a spring and placed on a horizontal, smooth surface. A horizontal force of 19.0 N is required to hold the object at rest when it is pulled 0.200 m from its equilibrium position (the origin of the x axis). The object is now released from rest with an initial position of xi = 0.200 m, and it subsequently undergoes simple harmonic oscillations.

(f) Find the speed of the object when its position is equal to one third of the maximum value.
(g) Find the acceleration of the object when its position is equal to one third of the maximum value.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved for w, and to find F) I used the conservation of energy to find the velocity. My question then is how to I find part G)?

Can I do: a = w^2(1/3*A) which gives me a correct answer.
However if I use the same method to find v: v= w(1/3*A) I get a wrong answer. Can anyone tell me why this is and if I need to use another method to solve for a.

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to do with the relative phases of x, v, and a. x and a are 180 degrees out of phase, so when one is at a positive maximum, then other is at a negative maximum. So at the time when the position is 1/3 of the amplitude, the acceleration magnitude is 1/3 of its maximum value.

At the time when the position is 1/3 of its maximum value, the velocity is not at 1/3 its value, so you cannot do the same thing with the velocity.

(The two easiest points to see are at the middle and the endpoint. When the particle is at the amplitude, the acceleration magnitude is a maximum but the velocity is not. When the particle is at the equilibrium position, so x=0, the acceleration is 0 but the velocity is not.)

(Also, when you did a=w^2 (1/3A), since w^2=k/m, you were also doing ma=kx, so this becomes Newton's law for the acceleration. The velocity equation you mentioned as an incorrect example does not.)

Ok, so that is a legitimate way for finding the acceleration, and will work all the time?

If you compare the time dependent formulas for x and a (the ones with sines or cosines), you can see that:

[tex]
a = - \omega^2 x
[/tex]

so your way will work for a; also it is equivalent to Newton's law [itex]\vec F=m\vec a[/itex].

Related to Solving Simple Harmonic Motion Problems

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with its acceleration proportional to its distance from the equilibrium point and in the opposite direction to the displacement.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in N/m.

3. How is the amplitude of a simple harmonic motion determined?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium point. It can be determined by measuring the distance from the equilibrium point to the peak of the oscillation.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of a simple harmonic motion is inversely proportional to the period. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

5. How do you solve for the displacement at a specific time in a simple harmonic motion?

To solve for the displacement at a specific time in a simple harmonic motion, you can use the equation x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the initial phase angle. Plug in the values and solve for x.