Solving Simple Harmonic Motion for All Time

In summary, the conversation is about determining an expression for the acceleration of an oscillating mass undergoing SHM. The mass is initially accelerated by 1ms^-2 for a time of pi/2, then accelerated by -1ms^-2 for another time of pi/2, and then returns to the origin. The attempted solution involves a function that only considers acceleration for time 0 to pi, but the correct expression involves a combination of Heaviside step functions and a square sine wave. The period of the function can be adjusted as needed.
jam12

Homework Statement

I have that a oscillating mass undergoes shm. It is accelerated (forced oscillation) by 1ms^-2, for time pi/2 as it goes through the origin and then accelerated by -1ms^-2 for another time pi/2, then it is at the origin after the second acceleration.

I need to determine an expression for the acceleration for all time.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

i can only think of something along the lines: f(t)= 1 0<t<pi/2
= -1 pi/2<t<pi
= 0 t>pi
but this is wrong as it only considers the acceleration for time 0 to pi. I need it for all time, since the mass will start accelerating (forced) when it travels past the origin to the other direction and continues to oscillate back and forth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Fourier series and something called the step function.

thanks, I've tried but its no use since i need a function that turns on and of and on etc an infinite number of times

Looking at the squarewave function expression I see my function will be a sum of heaviside step functions? and i can change the period according to what i need.
Many thanks

Related to Solving Simple Harmonic Motion for All Time

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the object will move back and forth in a periodic manner, with a constant frequency and amplitude.

2. How do you solve for simple harmonic motion?

To solve for simple harmonic motion, you need to use the equation x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant. You can also use the equation v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt + φ) to find the velocity and a(t) = -Aω^2cos(ωt + φ) to find the acceleration.

3. What is the equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period (T) of simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. The angular frequency can be found using the equation ω = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the object.

4. Can you solve for simple harmonic motion for all time?

Yes, it is possible to solve for simple harmonic motion for all time using the equations mentioned above. However, the exact motion of the object will depend on the initial conditions, such as the initial displacement, velocity, and phase angle.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum, a mass hanging from a spring, and a vibrating guitar string. Many other objects and systems in nature exhibit simple harmonic motion, such as atoms in a solid vibrating around their equilibrium positions and sound waves traveling through air.