Solving Simple Factoring Problems: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter msimard8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the first conversation is about a person having trouble with factoring problems and the answers not matching the answer book. They show their work and ask for help. The second conversation is about another factoring problem where the person shares their work and asks for clarification on how the answer book got to its solution.
msimard8
Hello, I am having a few minor factoring problems. Answers are not matching the answer book. I will show you what I have done

=p^2 - 2p +1 - y^2 -2yz - z^2

=(p-1)^2 (-y-z)(y+z)

(the answer book states (p-1+y+z)(p-1-y-z))

I don't know how the got that

next

x^2 +2 +(1/x^2)

=x^4 + 2x^2 +1
=(x^2+1)^2

answer says (x+1/x)^2

help please

Physics news on Phys.org
msimard8 said:
Hello, I am having a few minor factoring problems. Answers are not matching the answer book. I will show you what I have done

=p^2 - 2p +1 - y^2 -2yz - z^2

=(p-1)^2 (-y-z)(y+z)

If you want to be correct, always multiply it out or substitute something into see if you're right or not.

(the answer book states (p-1+y+z)(p-1-y-z))
You already know how to factor the first three terms into a squared term involving p. Can you do something similar with the last three terms?

next

x^2 +2 +(1/x^2)

=x^4 + 2x^2 +1
Not true--plug in some values to check. However, what IS true, is
x^2 +2 +(1/x^2) = (x^4 + 2x^2 +1)/(x^2)
=(x^2+1)^2

answer says (x+1/x)^2

help please

thanks for the help on the first one

for the second one i got to

[(x^2+1) (x^2+1)]/x^2

how does that get to

(x+1/x)^2

Last edited:
((x^2+1)/x)^2

Related to Solving Simple Factoring Problems: Tips and Tricks

1. What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts, called factors, that when multiplied together, give the original expression.

2. How do I factor a simple algebraic expression?

To factor a simple algebraic expression, you need to look for common factors and use the distributive property to simplify the expression. You can also use the reverse FOIL method, where you find two numbers that multiply to give the constant term and add to give the coefficient of the middle term.

3. What are the most common factoring techniques?

The most common factoring techniques include factoring out the greatest common factor (GCF), factoring by grouping, and factoring trinomials using the reverse FOIL method or the quadratic formula.

4. Why is factoring important in mathematics?

Factoring is important in mathematics because it helps us solve equations, simplify expressions, and find roots of polynomial functions. It also plays a crucial role in many advanced mathematical concepts, such as algebraic fractions, polynomial division, and completing the square.

5. Are there any tips for factoring quickly and accurately?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you factor quickly and accurately. These include practicing common factoring techniques, looking for patterns in the expressions, and breaking down the expression into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to double-check your work by multiplying the factors back together to ensure you have factored correctly.