Solving Shear Stress on a Bar - Mechanics of Materials

In summary, the question is why the shearing force V does not cause shear stress (\tau_2) on point A as it does on point B. The answer is that at point A, the first moment of area Q = 0, thus the shear stress is also 0. This can also be explained by symmetry and the lack of a perpendicular side force. The formula tau = VQ/(It) can be used to calculate shear stress, and the article provided further explains this concept. At point B, the shear stress is at its maximum due to the maximum first moment of area Q.
Feeh
I'm trying to understand a problem found on Mechanics of Materials and did not completely understood the problem. I can solve problems like this but I still don't know why I'm solving this way.

It is a simple question: Why the shearing force V does not cause shear stress ([itex]\tau_2[/itex]) on the point A as it does on point B? (page 575 pictures c and d for reference)

Yes, I've searched on the book but did not find why

Thanks

Attachments

• ex-page-574.jpg
    ex-page-574.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 603
  • ex-page-575.jpg
    ex-page-575.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 581
  • ex-page-576.jpg
    ex-page-576.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 527
  • ex-page-577.jpg
    ex-page-577.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 510
Engineering news on Phys.org
The shearing force V produced by the wind blowing on the sign runs parallel to the line AC. If we calculate the shear stress at point A using the standard formula tau = VQ/(It), then at point A, the first moment of area Q = 0 about the axis B-C, thus the shear stress = 0. We can also argue from symmetry, that if a non zero shear stress exists at point A, unless an equal and opposite shear force is present on the other side of the pole, there will be a side force introduced which is perpendicular to the shear force V, and the wind produced no such force.

It's not clear from your text if you have been introduced to calculating shear stress using the formula tau = VQ/(It). This article derives the formula for calculating shear stresses in beams:

http://www.ecourses.ou.edu/cgi-bin/ebook.cgi?topic=me&chap_sec=04.3&page=theory

At point B, the first moment of area Q about the axis B-C will be a maximum, and the shear stress at this point is also a maximum.

Related to Solving Shear Stress on a Bar - Mechanics of Materials

1. What is shear stress on a bar?

Shear stress is the force per unit area that is applied parallel to the cross-sectional area of a bar, causing it to deform or break.

2. How do you calculate shear stress on a bar?

The formula for calculating shear stress on a bar is: τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the bar.

3. What is the difference between shear stress and normal stress?

Shear stress is caused by forces applied parallel to a surface, while normal stress is caused by forces applied perpendicular to a surface. Shear stress can result in sliding or deformation, while normal stress can result in stretching or compression.

4. How does shear stress affect the strength of a material?

The strength of a material is directly related to its ability to withstand shear stress. If a material has a high shear stress limit, it can withstand larger forces before breaking or deforming.

5. How can shear stress be reduced?

Shear stress can be reduced by increasing the cross-sectional area of the bar, using materials with higher shear stress limits, or by using supports or reinforcements to distribute the force more evenly.