Solving Series Summation Problem: Start & How-To

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving summation of series with different variables and how to prove it using mathematical notation. The formula for the first sum is given as r^3 = (n^2)/4 (n+1)^2, while the formula for the second sum is given as r^3 = (n^2)/4 (3n+1)(5n+3). The conversation ends with instructions on how to approach the problem using induction and factoring.
tykescar
It isn't homework, it's in a textbook and I'm having trouble with it.

When r=1, summing to n the series of r^3 = (n^2)/4 (n+1)^2

Show that when r = (n+1), summing to 2n = (n^2)/4 (3n+1)(5n+3)

What order do you start the summation, and how do I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand your question :frown: Can you please use mathematical notation, or explain it better? I know it is supposed to be about sums, but I really can't see what sums...

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}r^3=\frac{n^2}{4}\right\left(n+1)\right^2[/tex]

show that

[tex]\sum_{r=n+1}^{2n}r^3=\frac{n^2}{4}\right\left(3n+1)\right\left(5n+3)\right[/tex]

I don't understand how to start

Last edited:
Aah, thanks for TeXing it, I understand now!

Let's first do the first sum. You should prove such a statements by induction. So, first prove the case n=1. Secondly, assume that n=k has been shown, and prove the case n=k+1.

hi tykescar! :wink:

just do the sum from 1 to 2n, subtract from it the sum from 1 to n, and do a bit of factoring …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Solving Series Summation Problem: Start & How-To

What is the purpose of solving series summation problems?

The purpose of solving series summation problems is to find the sum of a series of numbers, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

How do you start solving a series summation problem?

The first step in solving a series summation problem is to determine the pattern or sequence of the series. This can be done by looking at the numbers and finding a common difference or ratio between them. Once the pattern is identified, it can be used to write a general formula for the series.

What are the different methods for solving a series summation problem?

There are several methods for solving a series summation problem, including using the formula for the sum of an arithmetic or geometric series, using a calculator or computer program, or using a spreadsheet to create a table and find the sum. Some problems may also require algebraic manipulation or the use of advanced calculus techniques.

What are some tips for solving series summation problems?

Some tips for solving series summation problems include carefully examining the given series for any patterns or relationships, using known formulas and techniques, double-checking calculations for errors, and breaking down the problem into smaller, easier-to-solve parts if needed.

Why is it important to accurately solve series summation problems?

Accurately solving series summation problems is important because the sum of a series may be used in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as determining probabilities, evaluating infinite sequences, or finding the area under a curve. Incorrectly solving the problem can lead to inaccurate results and potentially affect the validity of the overall calculation or analysis.