Solving Sequences and Series Homework

In summary, a sequence is a list of numbers or terms that follow a pattern, while a series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. To find the nth term in a sequence, identify the pattern and plug in the value of n. Arithmetic sequences involve adding a constant number to the previous term, while geometric sequences involve multiplying by a constant number. A series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value, and divergent if it approaches infinity. Sequences and series have real-world applications in finance, computer science, and physics.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

So I was helping my roommate with his homework, and it has the following problem:

Fill in the blanks so that

___, 8, ___, ___, 27, ___, ...

is

a. an arithmetic sequence.
b. a geometric sequence.
c. a sequence that is neither arithmetic nor geometric, for which you are able to write a general term.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We tried a Fibonnaci-type sequence, but that really didn't work. And we don't know any other types of sequences. Should I try some sort of quadratic relationship?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, solved.

Related to Solving Sequences and Series Homework

What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern or rule. A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms in a sequence together.

How do I find the nth term in a sequence?

To find the nth term in a sequence, you must first identify the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. Once you have determined the pattern, you can use it to find the missing term by plugging in the value of n. For example, if the sequence is 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, the pattern is adding 2 to the previous term. So, the nth term would be 2n.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, each term is found by adding a constant number to the previous term. For example, 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 is an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 3. In a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. For example, 2, 6, 18, 54, 162 is a geometric sequence with a common ratio of 3.

How do I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. It is divergent if the sum of its terms approaches infinity as the number of terms increases. To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the nth term test, integral test, or comparison test.

What are some real-world applications of sequences and series?

Sequences and series are used in many fields, including finance, computer science, and physics. In finance, compound interest and annuities can be modeled using geometric sequences and series. In computer science, sequences are used in algorithms and data structures. In physics, sequences and series are used to model physical phenomena and calculate probabilities in quantum mechanics.