Solving Selective Oxidation with Standard Reduction Potential

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the galvanic cell under standard conditions would produce a spontaneous oxidation of Sn to Sn2+ but not Sn2+ to Sn4+.
salman213
1. The standard reduction potential for the half-reaction

Sn4+ + 2e- Sn2+
is +0.15 V.
Consider data from the table of standard reduction potentials for common half-reactions, in your text.

For a galvanic cell under standard conditions, which of the following cathodic half reactions would produce, at the anode, a spontaneous oxidation of Sn to Sn2+ but not Sn2+ to Sn4+.

Sn2+ + 2e- Sn
Pb2+ + 2e- Pb
2H2O + 2e- H2 + 2OH-
PbSO4 + 2e- Pb + SO42-
Fe2+ + 2e- Fe
Fe3+ + 3e- Fe

HOW DO I APPROACH THIS PROBLEM?

Physics news on Phys.org
any help >

Well what are your thoughts on the problem. Also it seems kind of obvious from your choices think about it..

Im not really sure how to approach this , i gues i have to look at standard potentials but I am not sure what the question is asking me.

Ok I am confused this is wat i did
Sn4+ + 2e- Sn2+
is +0.15 V.

For a galvanic cell under standard conditions, which of the following cathodic half reactions would produce, at the anode, a spontaneous oxidation of Sn to Sn2+ but not Sn2+ to Sn4+.
Sn2+(aq) + 2e− → Sn(s) −0.13

Sn2+ + 2e- Sn -0.13 V
No not spontaeous this is at equilibirum?

Pb2+ + 2e- Pb 0.13 V
Yes because it is spontaneous and the Sn2+ to Sn4+ will occur at the cathode

2H2O + 2e- H2 + 2OH- -0.828 V
No because this will occur at anode since more negative

PbSO4 + 2e- Pb + SO42- -0.359 V
No because this will occur at anode since more negative

Fe2+ + 2e- Fe −0.44 V
No becuase this will occur at anode since more negative

Fe3+ + 3e- Fe -0.04 V
Yes the Sn will be oxidized to Sn2+ since it has lower potential -.13 and it is spontaneous and also the Sn2+ to Sn4+ will not happen at anode since it is much more postive.

I ONLY HAVE 1 MORE TRY TO GET IT RIGHT ON MY ASSIGNMENT ONLINE PLZ HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Last edited:
I think these are right but I don't want to submit them before making sure with someone smart at this forum since i only have one chance left... lol :)

please anyone check!

I got it

Last edited:

Related to Solving Selective Oxidation with Standard Reduction Potential

1. What is selective oxidation and standard reduction potential?

Selective oxidation is a chemical process in which a specific substance is oxidized while other substances remain unchanged. Standard reduction potential is a measurement of the tendency of a substance to gain electrons and be reduced in a chemical reaction.

2. How can standard reduction potential be used to solve selective oxidation?

By comparing the standard reduction potentials of different substances, we can determine which substance has a higher tendency to be reduced and therefore act as the oxidizing agent in a selective oxidation reaction.

3. What factors affect the success of selective oxidation using standard reduction potential?

The success of selective oxidation using standard reduction potential is affected by the concentration of reactants, temperature, pH, and the presence of any catalysts.

4. What are some common applications of selective oxidation with standard reduction potential?

Selective oxidation with standard reduction potential is commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, and fine chemicals to produce specific products with high purity and yield.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to using selective oxidation with standard reduction potential?

Yes, some limitations and challenges include the need for precise control of reaction conditions, potential side reactions, and the cost of using certain reactants with high standard reduction potentials.