Solving SE Numerically for Periodic Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Schrödinger equation numerically for different potentials, specifically a periodic potential of the form V=V0cos(x). The speaker is unsure about the behavior of the wave functions at infinity and asks for clarification. The other person in the conversation explains that both normalizable and periodic eigenfunctions are possible, and suggests looking into "Bloch waves" for further understanding.
aaaa202
Okay so I am solving the SE numerically for different potentials. Amongst those I am trying to find the low energy wave functions for a periodic potential of the form:
V=V0cos(x)
Now recall that for a numerical solution, at least the type I am doing, you somehow have to assume that the wave functions tends to zero for large lxl. This is obviously the case for any bound states, which I have been looking at so far. But this one I am not quite sure - I mean yes surely to be at infinity a particle would have to cross an infinite number of potential barriers, so it's intuitive from that perspective that the wave functions are indeed finite. On the other hand, these potential barriers are only finite so I am not quite sure. Can anybody, who have a bit more experience with the solutions to the Schrödinger equation tell me what is correct assume? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right in both respects; in the minimum of the potential curve one expects that normalizable wave functions may be present, but your potential is periodic, so one expects periodic eigen-functions (that are not normalizable) as well. I am not sure about this, without actually solving the equation, but both kinds of eigenfunctions seem possible. It may be that localized wave functions will correspond to certain range of energies, and the infinite trains will correspond to the remaining range.

Strictly speaking you are right that the functions in the Hilbert space should be normalizable.
However, a periodic potential only has a continuous spectrum and therefore it has no normalizable eigenfunctions in the strict sense.
Maye you find the wikipedia article on "Bloch waves" helpful.

Related to Solving SE Numerically for Periodic Potential

1. What is a periodic potential?

A periodic potential is a type of potential energy that repeats itself at regular intervals. This can occur in various physical systems, such as crystals or electronic devices, and is often described using mathematical functions.

2. How is the Schrödinger equation solved numerically for periodic potentials?

The Schrödinger equation is solved numerically for periodic potentials using methods such as the Bloch wave method, which utilizes the periodicity of the potential to reduce the problem to a finite number of equations that can be solved using numerical techniques.

3. What are the advantages of solving SE numerically for periodic potentials?

Solving the Schrödinger equation numerically allows for a more accurate and detailed understanding of the behavior of particles in a periodic potential. It also allows for the study of more complex systems that cannot be solved analytically.

4. Are there any limitations to solving SE numerically for periodic potentials?

One limitation is that numerical solutions are only approximate and may not capture all of the nuances of the system. Additionally, the computational cost can be high for large systems or highly accurate results.

5. How can the results from solving SE numerically for periodic potentials be applied?

The results from numerical solutions of the Schrödinger equation for periodic potentials can be applied in various fields, such as materials science and semiconductor device design. They can also be used to understand the behavior of quantum particles in complex systems, leading to potential advancements in technology and scientific research.