Solving Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries

In summary, the student is trying to solve the Bessel equation for a particle of mass inside a cylinder. They reached the solution that satisfies the boundary condition of being a linear combination of the three eigenvalues.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must get the first eigenvalues of the time independent Schrödinger's equation for a particle of mass m inside a cylinder of height h and radius a where ##h \sim a##.
The boundary conditions are that psi is worth 0 everywhere on the surface of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

##-\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \triangle \psi =E \psi##.
Laplacian in cylindrical coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used separation of variables on the PDE, seeking for the solutions of the form ##\psi (\rho, \theta , z)=R(\rho) \Theta (\theta ) Z(z)##.
I reached that ##\frac{Z''}{Z}=\text{constant}=-\lambda ^2##. Assuming that the Z function is periodic and worth 0 at the top and bottom of the cylinder, I reached that ##Z(z)=B \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi n}{h} \right )## where n=1,2, 3, etc.
Then I reached that ##\frac{\Theta''}{\Theta} = -m^2## where m=0, 1, 2, etc (because it must be periodic with period 2 pi). So that ##\Theta (\theta )=C \cos (m \theta ) +D \sin (m \theta)##.
Then the last ODE remaining to solve is ##\rho ^2 R''+\rho R'+R \{ \rho ^2 \left [ \frac{2mE}{\hbar ^2} - \left ( \frac{n\pi}{h} \right )^2 \right ] -m^2 \}=0##. This is where I'm stuck.
It's very similar to a Bessel equation and Cauchy-Euler equation but I don't think it is either. So I don't really know how to tackle that ODE. Any idea? Wolfram alpha does not seem to solve it either: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^2y%27%27%2Bxy%27%2By%28x^2*k-n^2%29%3D0.

Physics news on Phys.org

TSny said:
Look's like Bessel's equation. See http://www.efunda.com/math/bessel/bessel.cfm
Hmm ok.
Of course, you'll need to rescale ##\rho## to simplify the expression inside your { }.
Hmm what do you mean exactly? I have an equation of the form ##\rho ^2 R''+\rho R' +R(\rho ^2 p^2 -m^2)## where p is a constant for a given n.
Rescaling rho means to get ##p^2=1##?

Yes. Define a new independent variable (##x##, say) in terms of ##\rho## such that you get the standard form of Bessel's equation.

TSny said:
Yes. Define a new independent variable (##x##, say) in terms of ##\rho## such that you get the standard form of Bessel's equation.

I try ##x=\rho p## so ##\rho =x/p## but then the ODE changes to ##\frac{x^2R''}{p^2}+\frac{xR'}{p}+R(x^2-m^2)=0##. I could multiply by ##p^2## but I would not get the standard form of the Bessel equation. I don't see how I could rescale the factor in front of rho ^2 without rescaling the coefficients in front of R'' and R.

You need to take care of the rescaling in the derivatives, too. For example, ##dR/d\rho = \left(dR/dx\right)\left(dx/d\rho\right)##

TSny said:
You need to take care of the rescaling in the derivatives, too. For example, ##dR/d\rho = \left(dR/dx\right)\left(dx/d\rho\right)##

Oh right, I totally missed this!
So indeed now I recognize a Bessel equation!
Therefore I get that the solutions of the form ##\psi =R ( \rho ) \Theta (\theta ) Z(z)=B_n \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi z}{h} \right ) [C_m \cos (m\theta ) + D_m \sin (m \theta )]J_m \left ( \rho \sqrt {\frac{2mE}{\hbar ^2} - \frac{n^2 \pi ^2}{h^2}} \right )##.
So the solution that satisfies the boundary condition is a linear combination of those.
I'm not 100% sure about what they mean by "eigenvalues". Eigenfrequencies? Lowest energies possible? (They only want the first 3 eigenvalues).
I'm pretty sure this will concern the cases (1) n=1 and m=0 and m=1. (2) n=2, m=0. But I'm not sure what they are asking me.

I think they want the three lowest energies. They are called eigenvalues because they are eigenvalues of the time independent Schrodinger equation ##H|\psi> = E|\psi>##

You don't seem to have used the boundary condition at ρ=a.

TSny said:
I think they want the three lowest energies. They are called eigenvalues because they are eigenvalues of the time independent Schrodinger equation ##H|\psi> = E|\psi>##

Ok thanks!
Hmm I don't know how to get that information.
I have a feeling I should add a subscript "n" under "E" in ##\psi =R ( \rho ) \Theta (\theta ) Z(z)=B_n \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi z}{h} \right ) [C_m \cos (m\theta ) + D_m \sin (m \theta )]J_m \left ( \rho \sqrt {\frac{2mE}{\hbar ^2} - \frac{n^2 \pi ^2}{h^2}} \right )## and then isolate ##E_n## but not sure to what I should equate the equation.

Follow haruspex's lead.

Oh right guys sorry. And thanks for helping. I did not see haruspex's post.
So if ##x_p## is the p'th zero of the Bessel function then ##E_n= \left ( \frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \right ) \left [ \left ( \frac{x_p}{a} \right ) ^2 +\left ( \frac{n^2 \pi ^2}{h^2} \right ) \right ]##. I guess I'll have to check if I can replace "p" by "n". It's not obvious to me at a first glance.

Ok I've thought a bit on this. The first 3 lowest energy values are when ##x_p=x_0##. So ##E_1= \frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \left [ \left ( \frac{x_0}{a} \right ) ^2 + \frac{\pi ^2}{h^2} \right ]##, ##E_2= \frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \left [ \left ( \frac{x_0}{a} \right ) ^2 + \frac{4\pi ^2}{h^2} \right ]## and ##E_3= \frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \left [ \left ( \frac{x_0}{a} \right ) ^2 + \frac{9\pi ^2}{h^2} \right ]##.
I'm not very confident because I don't know if ##\frac{\hbar ^2 }{2m} \left [ \left ( \frac{x_1}{a} \right ) ^2 + \frac{\pi ^2}{h^2} \right ] <\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \left [ \left ( \frac{x_0}{a} \right ) ^2 + \frac{9\pi ^2}{h^2} \right ]## for example.

You'll need to consult a Table of Roots

The problem states that the height of the cylinder is approx. equal to the radius: [itex]h\approx a[/itex], which should help figure out the lowest three energies.

Last edited:

TSny said:
You'll need to consult a Table of Roots

The problem states that the height of the cylinder is approx. equal to the radius: [itex]h\approx a[/itex], which should help figure out the lowest three energies.

Great and thank you once more.
I get from lower to upper: ##E_{1,0}##, ##E_{1,1}## and ##E_{2,0}## where the subscript are ##E_{n,p}##.

I think that might be correct.

:approve:
TSny said:
I think that might be correct.
Thanks for all.

Related to Solving Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries

1. What is Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries?

Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of quantum particles in a cylindrical system. It takes into account the particle's energy, potential, and boundary conditions to determine the probability of finding the particle at a certain location.

2. Why is it important to solve Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries?

Solving Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries allows us to understand the behavior of quantum particles in cylindrical systems, which is relevant in various fields such as nuclear physics, solid state physics, and quantum mechanics. It also helps in predicting and understanding the properties of materials and particles.

3. What are the boundary conditions in Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries?

The boundary conditions in Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries refer to the constraints on the wave function of the particle at the boundaries of the cylindrical system. These can include conditions such as the wave function being continuous and differentiable at the boundaries.

4. How is Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries solved?

Solving Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, eigenvalue equations, and boundary conditions to find the wave function and energy levels of the particle in the cylindrical system.

5. What are some applications of Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries?

Schrödinger's Equation for Cylindrical Boundaries has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of atoms and molecules, semiconductor devices, and nuclear reactors. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.