Solving Schrodinger's Equation: Quantum Mechanics Assignment

In summary, DoubleMint found a mistake in his quantum mechanics assignment and was looking for help. He found that two different methods give different results when the initial conditions are substituted in, but that the results can be found using the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of Ly.
doublemint
Hi,

I am working on my quantum mechanics assignment and I and trying to determine the state of a system at an arbitrary time using two different methods: solving the differential equation (Schrodinger Equation) and evolution operator.
I determined the final results using both methods, however, the solutions are different BUT when I sub in the initial conditions, I get the correct values...
Ive been staring at my work for hours, trying to find a mistake..
Ive attached my work, so if anyone can spot what i did wrong, much thanks!
DoubleMint

The question is in this http://qis.ucalgary.ca/quantech/443/2011/homework_three.pdf" . It is part h).

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    304.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0001.pdf
    527.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
would it not be more prudent to to calculate [tex] e^{\hbar \omega L_y} \left| v_3 \right\rangle = \sum_{i=1}^{3} e^{\hbar \omega L_y} \left| v'_i \right\rangle \left\langle v'_i \left\rigt| v_3 \right\rangle [/tex] where the primed vectors are eigenvectors of Ly. That way you don't have to deal with unnecessary work and matrices and to be honest I'm not even sure what you did there.

For the differential method again I'd work in the eigenbasis of Ly

Last edited:
Hey sgd37,
I did my calculations using the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of Ly. Unless i solved for those incorrectly...

edit: as for the differential method, my professor taught us only the way I've done it. I am not sure how to use the eigenbasis of Ly.

I just did the calculate using your summation notation that you posted and i get the same answer. So its possible that I did the differential method incorrectly...

it isn't a question of wrong eigenvectors. Anyway using my method and your eigenvectors

[tex]
e^{-i \omega L_y t} \left| v_3 \right\rangle = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} \left| v'_1 \right\rangle + e^{-i \omega \sqrt{2} t} \frac {1}{2} \left| v'_2 \right\rangle + e^{i \omega \sqrt{2} t} \frac {1}{2} \left| v'_3 \right\rangle = \begin{pmatrix} \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}}-cos(\omega \sqrt{2} t) \\ - \sqrt{2} sin(\omega \sqrt{2} t) \\ \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}}+cos(\omega \sqrt{2} t) \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

where I've corrected the exponents from my previous post

Last edited:
shouldnt the eigenvalues be squared since there are two eigenvectors?

You made a couple of mistakes when solving the differential equations.

First, you need to get the initial conditions correct. When t=0, you have x=y=0 and z=1, so the Schrodinger equation

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}\dot{x} \\ \dot{y} \\ \dot{z} \end{pmatrix}= \omega\begin{pmatrix}-y \\ x-z \\ y \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

tells you [itex]\dot{x}(0)=\dot{z}(0)=0[/itex] and [itex]\dot{y}(0)=-\omega[/itex].

Start by solving for y(t). You may find it more convenient to write y(t) in terms of sine and cosine instead of complex exponentials. The initial conditions for y(t) and its time derivative will allow you to solve for both arbitrary constants.

Then integrate to find x(t) and z(t). Don't forget the constant of integration. (You left it out in your earlier attempt to find z(t)). The initial conditions will allow you to determine those constants. You should get the solution you're looking for.

Last edited:
I got it!
Thanks for the help Vela and sgd37!

Related to Solving Schrodinger's Equation: Quantum Mechanics Assignment

What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time.

Why is Schrodinger's equation important in quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's equation is the cornerstone of quantum mechanics, as it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific location in space and time. It also helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules.

How do you solve Schrodinger's equation?

Solving Schrodinger's equation involves using mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables and Fourier transforms, to find solutions that describe the behavior of a quantum system. These solutions are known as wave functions.

What are the applications of Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation has numerous applications in fields such as quantum chemistry, quantum optics, and quantum computing. It is used to predict the behavior of particles and atoms, as well as to design and analyze quantum technologies.

Is Schrodinger's equation the only equation used in quantum mechanics?

No, Schrodinger's equation is one of several equations used in quantum mechanics. Other important equations include the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the Pauli exclusion principle, and the Dirac equation.