Solving Schrodinger Equation for Modified Stepwise Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Schrodinger equation to solve for the wave function \varphi(x) in two different regions, one with a step potential of height V0 and one with an added infinitely high wall. The forum poster has made progress in solving the equation but is seeking guidance on simplifying the constants in the solution. The suggested approaches include using the continuity of the wave function at boundary points and using the boundary conditions to solve for unknown constants in terms of known quantities.
beebopbellopu

Homework Statement

Consider reflection from a step potential of height V0 with E > V0, but now with an infinitely high wall added at a distance a from the step (x=0 at V=V0)

Solve the Schrodinger equation to find [tex]\varphi[/tex](x) for x<0 and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] a. Your soultion should contain only one unknown constant.

Homework Equations

Time independent Schrodinger equations for x<0 and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] a regions.

For x<0: [tex]\varphi_{1}[/tex] = A1eik1x + B1e-ik1x where k1 = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/tex]

For 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] a: [tex]\varphi_{2}[/tex] = A2eik2x + B2e-ik2x where k2 = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2m(E-V0)}}{\hbar}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry if my formatting is a little off, this is my first time posting. Anyways.

So I tried enforcing my boundary conditions:

1) [tex]\varphi_{1}[/tex](0) = [tex]\varphi_{2}[/tex](0)
2) [tex]\frac{d\varphi_{1}}{dx}[/tex] evaluated at x=0 is equal to [tex]\frac{d\varphi_{2}}{dx}[/tex] evaluated at x=0
3) [tex]\varphi_{2}[/tex](a) = 0

which resulted in the following (respectively to each boundary condition):

1) A1 + B1 = A2 + B2
2) k1(A1 - B1) = k2(A2 - B2)
3) A2eik2a = -B2eik2a

Then using the 3rd condition, you get A2 = -B2e-2ik2a

plugging that into condition 1 yields A1 + B1 = B2(1-e-2ik2a)

Then from the 2nd condition I get A1 = B1 - [tex]\frac{-B_{2}k_{2}}{k_{1}}[/tex](e-2ik2a+1) which I then plugged back into the equation from condition 1.

So along with the equation for A2, I get the following constants:

B1 = [tex]\frac{B_{2}}{2}[/tex][(1-e-2ik2a)+[tex]\frac{k_{2}}{k_{1}}[/tex](1+e-2ik2a)]

and A1 = B2[[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{k_{2}}{k_{1}}[/tex] - e-2ik2a([tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{k_{2}}{k_{1}}[/tex])]

Do I then just plug these directly back into the schrodinger equations? My main question is that I feel like there is a way to simplify these constants in a way I'm just not seeing, and hoping if there is a way someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have made good progress in solving the Schrodinger equation for this problem. However, you are correct in thinking that there may be a simpler way to express the constants in your solution.

One way to simplify the constants is to use the fact that the wave function must be continuous at the boundary points. This means that the values of A1 and B1 must be equal to the values of A2 and B2 at x=0 and x=a. This can help you eliminate some of the constants in your solution.

Another approach is to use the boundary conditions to solve for the unknown constant in terms of known quantities. For example, you can use the third boundary condition to solve for B2 in terms of A2. This will then allow you to express A1 and B1 in terms of A2, which will simplify your solution.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solving Schrodinger Equation for Modified Stepwise Potential

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the wave function of a particle at any given time and location.

2. What is a modified stepwise potential?

A modified stepwise potential is a type of potential energy function that is characterized by a series of steps, rather than a smooth curve. It is often used to model the behavior of particles in a confined region, such as a potential well.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation solved for a modified stepwise potential?

The Schrodinger equation for a modified stepwise potential can be solved using a variety of numerical and analytical methods. One common approach is to use the finite difference method, which approximates the wave function at discrete points in space and time.

4. What are some applications of solving the Schrodinger equation for modified stepwise potential?

Solving the Schrodinger equation for modified stepwise potential has many practical applications. It is commonly used in the study of electronic and atomic structures, as well as in the development of new materials and nanotechnologies.

5. Are there any challenges in solving the Schrodinger equation for modified stepwise potential?

Yes, there are several challenges in solving the Schrodinger equation for modified stepwise potential. One major challenge is accurately modeling the potential energy function, which can be complex and difficult to define. Additionally, the computational resources required to solve the equation can be significant, especially for large and complex systems.