Solving Rotating Heads Assessments: What's Correct?

• Thread starter PhysicsNovice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, this conversation covers various topics in rotational motion, including rotational speed, angular momentum, Newton's first law for rotational motion, balancing seesaws, rotational inertia, stability, center of mass, and conservation of angular momentum. The conversation also includes a discussion of formulas and how to approach questions without needing them.
PhysicsNovice
Hello Doc Al and others. I am progressing along with my on-line basic physics course. I completed a new module and have some assessment questions to answer. Please review and let me know the ones that are correct. Those that are wrong just a little clue as to where my thinking process went a stray. I will add my thought process to the ones that I missed telling how I came up with the answer that I did. Thanks for taking the time to assist me on some basic questions.

1. What is the rotational speed of the minute hand on a clock?
a. 0.000278 rev/s*
b. 0.00175 rev/s
c. 0.0167 rev/s
d. 0.105 rev/s

2. A child with a mass of 25 kg is riding on a merry-go-round. If the child has a speed of 3 m/s and is located 2 m from the center of the merry-go-round, what is the child's angular momentum?
a. 50 kg·m2/s
b. 75 kg·m2/s*
c. 150 kg·m2/s
d. 300 kg·m2/s

3. Newton's first law for rotational motion states that an object will maintain its state of rotational motion unless acted on by an unbalanced (or net):
a. force
b. velocity
c. inertia
d. torque*

4. A child with a mass of 20 kg sits at a distance of 2.0 m from the pivot point of a seesaw. Where should a 16-kg child sit to balance the seesaw?
a. 1.6 m
b. 2.0 m
c. 2.5 m*
d. 3.2 m

5. A solid sphere and a solid cylinder are made of the same material. If they have the same mass and radius, which one has the larger rotational inertia about its center?
a. the sphere
b. the cylinder
c. both the same* :smile:
d. There is not enough information to say

6. A fully-loaded trailer truck is less stable than a race car because the truck:
a. is more massive
b. has a higher center of mass*
c. has bigger wheels
d. weighs more

7. If you face a wall with your toes against the baseboard, you find that you cannot stand up on your toes because:
a. you cannot generate the necessary torque
b. your rotational inertia is too large
c. your center of mass is too high
d. your center of mass cannot move forward over your toes*

8. An astronaut "floating" in Skylab has an initial rotational motion but no initial translational motion relative to Skylab. She continues to rotate because she:
a. experiences no net force*
b. experiences a net force that acts through her center of mass
c. is weightless
d. experiences a torque due to the force of gravity

9. A spinning gyroscope points directly at the North Star when it is located at the North Pole. If it is transported to the South Pole without exerting any torques on it, which way will it point?
a. up
b. down*
c. horizontally

10. Assume that Gerry sits on a freely rotating stool holding a bicycle wheel with its axle vertical so that it rotates in a clockwise direction when viewed from above. If Gerry turns the wheel over, he will:
a. not rotate because the system of wheel and Gerry is closed or isolated
b. not rotate because the two torques cancel
c. rotate clockwise because angular momentum is conserved*
d. rotate counterclockwise because angular momentum is conserved

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the formulas involved in Q2 and Q5 ?

And Q8 has no correct choice among those listed, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the same one you did.

Noticed the same thing Gokul did. There's a difference between linear momentum (the equation you used in 2) and angular momentum and difference between mass and moment of inertia (rotational inertia in your case).

I'll add a few comments to what Gokul43201 and BobG said:
PhysicsNovice said:
5. A solid sphere and a solid cylinder are made of the same material. If they have the same mass and radius, which one has the larger rotational inertia about its center?
a. the sphere
b. the cylinder
c. both the same* :smile:
d. There is not enough information to say
You should be able to figure this one out without needing any fancy formulas. As long as you realize that when mass is arranged to be closer to the axis the rotational inertia decreases... and vice versa. So imagine a ball of clay of a certain radius. Now squash it into a cylinder shape--a "hockey puck" with the same radius. Do you end up pushing clay closer to or further from the axis?

8. An astronaut "floating" in Skylab has an initial rotational motion but no initial translational motion relative to Skylab. She continues to rotate because she:
a. experiences no net force*
b. experiences a net force that acts through her center of mass
c. is weightless
d. experiences a torque due to the force of gravity
Since you are learning about rotational motion you should realize that "no net force" does not insure a constant rotation, since you can certainly exert a torque and still have a zero net force. Furthermore, you should realize that Skylab and its contents certainly do experience a net force: gravity is what keeps them in orbit. The better answer is that gravity exerts no torque on the astronaut since it effectively acts through her center of mass.

Related to Solving Rotating Heads Assessments: What's Correct?

1. What is a rotating head assessment?

A rotating head assessment is a type of evaluation or test that requires individuals to solve problems or answer questions related to a rotating object. It is often used in cognitive or mechanical aptitude tests to measure an individual's ability to understand and manipulate spatial relationships.

2. How can I prepare for a rotating head assessment?

To prepare for a rotating head assessment, you can practice solving similar problems or taking practice tests. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with basic principles of spatial reasoning and rotational motion. Additionally, getting a good night's sleep and staying hydrated can improve your performance on the assessment.

3. What strategies can I use to solve rotating head assessment questions?

Some common strategies for solving rotating head assessment questions include visualizing the movement of the object, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and using the information provided in the question to guide your approach. It can also be helpful to practice using mental rotation, which involves imagining objects rotating in your mind.

4. Are there any common mistakes people make when solving rotating head assessments?

One common mistake is not fully understanding the question or the instructions provided. It is important to carefully read and interpret the information given before attempting to solve the problem. Another mistake is rushing through the assessment and not taking the time to check your work. It is also important to remember that rotating head assessments are timed, so managing your time effectively is key.

5. How are rotating head assessments used in different industries?

Rotating head assessments are commonly used in industries such as engineering, manufacturing, and aviation to assess an individual's spatial reasoning skills and ability to understand and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space. They may also be used in recruitment and selection processes for various job positions that require strong problem-solving and spatial skills.