Solving Resonance Problem in Air Columns

• Thread starter insertnamehere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with standing waves in air columns. The problem involves water being pumped into a vertical cylinder, and a tuning fork vibrating at the top of the cylinder. The goal is to determine the time between successive resonances as the water rises. One approach is to calculate the frequency using the volume and area of the cylinder, and then find the time elapsed based on the length of the air column and the frequency.
insertnamehere
Problem with Standing Waves in Air Columns

Hello, I'm having problems with this problem, lol...so far, i have found one of the main components of the following question, but I don't know where to go from there. please help

Water is pumped into a tall vertical cylinder at a volume flow rate R. The radius of the cylinder is r, and at the open top of the cylinder a tuning fork is vibrating with a frequency f. As the water rises, how much time elapses between successive resonances?

Ok, so far, this is what I got. I consider R to be V (volume) and since volume of a cylinder is pi(r^2)h where h is the height and equal to L. And since this considers harmonics, L= (wavelength)/4, therefore f= (V speed of sound)/(4L)
So I replaced L with (Volume/area of base or R/(pi*r^2) and solved to find frequency. But i don't know where to go about finding the TIME ELAPSED!
Please help. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please Helpp!

Pleasseeee!

The water is rising in the cylinder which is behaving as a resonance column(closed organ pipe). With the rise in the level of water the length of air column is decreasing at a rate of [tex] \frac {R}{ \pi r^2} [/tex] m/sec.

For the resonance to occur in the closed organ pipe the lengths of the air column should be [tex] (2n + 1) \frac {\lambda}{4} [/tex]
hence the difference in the lengths for successive resonance is [tex] \frac {\lambda}{2}[/tex]

So find the interval for which water rises by [tex] \frac {\lambda}{2}[/tex]

Related to Solving Resonance Problem in Air Columns

1. What is resonance in air columns?

Resonance in air columns is a phenomenon where the air inside a column, such as a tube or pipe, vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to sound waves. This results in a loud and clear sound being produced.

2. What causes resonance in air columns?

Resonance in air columns is caused by the reflection of sound waves at the open end of the column. When the length of the column is equal to half the wavelength of the sound wave, the reflected wave reinforces the original wave, leading to resonance.

3. How can resonance in air columns be solved?

To solve resonance problems in air columns, the length of the column can be adjusted to change its natural frequency. This can be done by changing the length of the column or by adding objects to the column to increase its mass and decrease its natural frequency.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving resonance problems in air columns?

Solving resonance problems in air columns is important in various fields, such as music, engineering, and physics. In music, instruments like flutes and organ pipes rely on resonance in air columns to produce sound. In engineering, resonance can cause structural damage, so it is important to understand and solve resonance problems. In physics, resonance in air columns is used to study sound waves and the properties of different materials.

5. What are some tips for solving resonance problems in air columns?

Some tips for solving resonance problems in air columns include understanding the concept of resonance and its causes, knowing the equation for calculating the natural frequency of a column, and considering the effects of changing the length or mass of the column. Additionally, experimenting and adjusting the length of the column can help determine the best solution for solving the resonance problem.