Solving Resistors in a Circuit: Working Backwards

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a circuit problem by determining the current through a specific resistor. The person initially struggled with figuring out the correct approach but eventually found the correct method. They then encountered another issue involving computing the voltage of the entire circuit and had set up a system of equations. The conversation also included a request for a picture or typed problem statement. The final part of the conversation involved determining the ideal voltage of a battery based on given resistances and current.
csmith23
Problem: I have found the total current running through the entire circuit. My problem is now I am trying to work backwards to determine the current through a certain resistor. I know when dealing with basic capacitors, voltage in parallel is the same, and charge in series is the same. Does the same apply to working with a circuit that only involves resistors?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe I found the correct way to do this. It would have helped if I was approaching the problem a different way.

Okay ran into another circuits issue. We have to compute the voltage of the entire circuit. I have set up my systems of equations. However for "v" I need a value. I use the rref feature in the calculator to determine currents. I am not exactly sure how to go about solving this the way I have been taught.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AOiddvzclqK7X8M&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

Welcome to MHB, csmith23! Could you please post a picture of the problem that's not hidden behind a password? Or type up the problem statement?

Thanks!

I think this is the same as http://mathhelpboards.com/other-advanced-topics-20/mesh-currents-emfs-resistances-10968.html.

Related to Solving Resistors in a Circuit: Working Backwards

1. How do I calculate the resistance of a circuit?

To calculate the resistance of a circuit, you need to know the values of the voltage and current. The resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I). This can be written as R = V/I.

2. What is the purpose of solving resistors in a circuit?

Solving resistors in a circuit allows you to understand how the various components in a circuit interact with each other. By knowing the resistance of a circuit, you can determine the amount of current flowing through it and the voltage drops across each component.

3. How do I work backwards to find the resistance in a circuit?

To work backwards and find the resistance in a circuit, you need to know the values of the voltage and current, as well as the type of circuit (series or parallel). From there, you can use Ohm's law to calculate the resistance or use other methods such as the voltage divider rule or Kirchhoff's laws.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in sequence. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths, so the current splits and flows through each component simultaneously. This affects the way resistance is calculated in each type of circuit.

5. How do I handle multiple resistors in a circuit?

If resistors are connected in series, you can simply add their individual resistance values to get the total resistance. If the resistors are connected in parallel, you can use the reciprocal formula to calculate the equivalent resistance. You can also use the voltage divider rule or Kirchhoff's laws for more complex circuits.