Solving Resistor Problems: How to Find Equivalent Resistances

• Thread starter robphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, there are ten possible equivalent resistances that can be created using four resistors with a resistance of 45 W. These can be found by drawing out all ten circuits or by using mathematical combinations and permutations. The largest equivalent resistance will be when all four resistors are in parallel, while the smallest equivalent resistance will be when all four resistors are in series.
robphysics
Four resistors all have resistance 45 W . Find all the possible equivalent resistnaces that can be created (there are ten) and list them from largest to smallest equivalent resistance.

Is there a way to solve this mathmatically or do i have to draw out the 10 circuits and figure it out that way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

I think you want to do the second option, it would be easier. Just start with all four in parallel and change one at a time to end up with four in series.

Could you point me in the right direction for solving it mathematically?
Thanks

Well.. The best way that i still think is the best is to draw out all 10 cicuits.. However, you can still try to do this using some maths.

Let's not make this too complicated.. Split up the types of arrangements first.
Let resisitors in parallel be considered as 1 resistor.
Therefore, we have:
...4R...3R...2R...1R...
....|...|...|...|...

For 4 resistors in parallel, we have only 1 type of arrangement(4 R in Parallel)

For 3 resistors in parallel, we will have 2 types of arrangement (1 R in series with the other 3 R in parallel)(Rotate bout the positions of the resistors in series to get 2)/ You can also permute 2 with 2..

For 2 R in parallel, we will have 6 types of arrangement (2 R in series with the other 2 in parallel) Taking the 2 parallel R as 1 R, Permute the 3 R with the 3 slots. ie: 3P3=6

For all resistors in series, we will have only one type of arrangement.

Therefore adding all arrangements.. 1+2+6+1=10!

Last edited:

Related to Solving Resistor Problems: How to Find Equivalent Resistances

1. What are resistors and what do they do?

Resistors are electronic components that are used to control the flow of electrical current. They resist the flow of electrons and are used in circuits to decrease the voltage or limit the current.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω).

3. What is the color code for resistors and how do I read it?

The color code on a resistor indicates its resistance value and tolerance. The first two bands represent the first two digits of the resistance value, the third band is a multiplier, and the fourth band is the tolerance. You can use a color code chart to read the values.

4. How do I connect resistors in a circuit?

Resistors can be connected in series or parallel in a circuit. In series, the resistors are connected end to end, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of each resistor's individual resistance. In parallel, the resistors are connected side by side, and the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each resistor's individual resistance.

5. What is the maximum power rating for a resistor and why is it important?

The maximum power rating for a resistor is the maximum amount of power it can safely handle without overheating or getting damaged. It is important to consider the power rating when choosing a resistor for a circuit, as exceeding the power rating can lead to malfunction or failure of the resistor.