Solving Rational Equations: What is the Missing Step?

• Thread starter Mathnomalous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the given equation is 3/2 + 2/2x-4 = 1/x-2 and the attempt at solving it involved finding the LCD and multiplying all terms by it. However, this resulted in a solution of x = 2, which is not in the domain of the function. After further discussion, it was determined that there are no solutions to this equation.
Mathnomalous

Homework Statement

Solve for x.

Homework Equations

3/2 + 2/2x-4 = 1/x-2

The Attempt at a Solution

LCD = 2(x-2)

3/2 + 2/2x-4 = 1/x-2 Mult. all terms by 2(x-2)

3x - 6 + 2 = 2

3x = 6

x = 2

What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you think you're missing something?

No idea, really. I think I followed all the correct steps. I also re-checked my class notes and this happens to be one of the exercises done in class by my professor. However, he solved the equation in a different and longer manner but with the same result (even though there is a (x-2)(x-2) = x^2 - 4 ?).

It's probably the inconsistent solution I obtain that bothers me.

Well, x = 2 makes your denominators zero, so that can't be the right answer.

Suppose you reduce the second term of the equation by canceling the 2.

Now you have 3/2 + 1/(x-2) = 1/(x-2).

That equation doesn't make any sense, right? Subtracting 1/(x-2) from both sides gets you 3/2 = 0.

There aren't any solutions to this equation.

Well, that confirms my suspicion. This is the first exercise in this assignment that has no solutions.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Yeah, you really weren't missing anything per se, you just didn't make the conclusion that x = 2 isn't in the domain of the function, as hgfalling illustrated.

Related to Solving Rational Equations: What is the Missing Step?

1. What is a rational equation?

A rational equation is an equation that contains rational expressions, which are fractions with variables in the numerator and/or denominator. These types of equations can be solved by clearing fractions and solving for the variable.

2. How do I solve a rational equation?

To solve a rational equation, you first need to clear the fractions by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common denominator (LCD). Then, you can solve for the variable by following the same steps as solving a linear equation.

3. Are there any restrictions when solving rational equations?

Yes, there may be restrictions when solving rational equations. These restrictions occur when the LCD contains variables, which would make the denominator equal to zero. In these cases, the value of the variable that makes the denominator zero is not a valid solution.

4. Can I check my solution for a rational equation?

Yes, you can check your solution for a rational equation by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying. If the resulting equation is true, then your solution is correct.

5. Can I solve a rational equation with more than one variable?

Yes, you can solve a rational equation with more than one variable by following the same steps as solving a single variable rational equation. However, you may need to use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for the variables.