Solving Ratio and Proportion Problem: (a+b+c)^2/(a^2+b^2+c^2)

• MHB
  • Thread starter kuheli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, if a, b, c are in continued proportion, then it can be proven that $a+b+c)/(a-b+c) = (a+b+c)/(a-b+c)$
kuheli
hi ,

i am stuck with a problem . the problem is

if a , b , c are in continued proportion ,then prove that

(a+b+c)^2/(a^2 +b^2 +c^2) =(a+b+c)/(a-b+c)

i have tried solving the problem in different way like breaking the formula of (a+b+c)^2 =a^2 +b^2 +c^2 + 2ab +2bc+2ca , then used componendo divedendo but ultimately no success. please help to solve the problem ...:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: ratio and proportion

When you look at the https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?posts/34268/ to a similar problem, what would you say is the first step?

Re: ratio and proportion

what ? i am not getting you ...:confused:

Well, maybe you can say what it means for $a$, $b$, $c$ to be in continued proportion.

a,b,c in continued proportion means a/b=b/c
i.e b^2=ac

Last edited:
kuheli said:
a,b,c in continued proportion means a/b=b/c
i.e b^2=ac
Yes. Another way to look at this is to denote $b/a=r$, i.e., $a/b=1/r$. Then $b=ar$, and $a/b=b/c$ gives $1/r=b/c$, i.e., $c=br$. That is, \[
b=ar\tag{1}
\]
and \[
c=br=a^2r\tag{2}.
\]
Now replace $c$ and $b$ in the equation you need to prove using (1) and (2), so that the only variables left are $a$ and $r$.

i tried that way.no result found

Let's see. You need to prove
\[
\frac{(a+ar+ar^2)^2}{a^2+(ar)^2+(ar^2)^2} = \frac{a+ar+ar^2}{a-ar+ar^2}
\]
First you can cancel $a+ar+ar^2$, which gives
\[
\frac{a+ar+ar^2}{a^2+(ar)^2+(ar^2)^2} = \frac{1}{a-ar+ar^2}
\]
Second, factor out all $a$'s and cancel them.
\[
\frac{a(1+r+r^2)}{a^2(1+r^2+r^4)} = \frac{1}{a(1-r+r^2)}
\]
i.e.,
\[
\frac{1+r+r^2}{1+r^2+r^4} = \frac{1}{1-r+r^2}
\]
Now multiply across (i.e., multiply both sides by both denominators) and represent $(1+r+r^2)(1-r+r^2)$ as $((1+r^2)+r)((1+r^2)-r)$ to use the formula $(x+y)(x-y)=x^2-y^2$.

Can you finish?

Related to Solving Ratio and Proportion Problem: (a+b+c)^2/(a^2+b^2+c^2)

1. What is ratio and proportion?

Ratio and proportion are mathematical concepts used to compare quantities of different values. A ratio compares the relative size or amount of two or more values, while a proportion relates those values to each other in terms of their relative sizes.

2. How is the formula for (a+b+c)^2/(a^2+b^2+c^2) derived?

The formula (a+b+c)^2/(a^2+b^2+c^2) is derived from the application of the distributive property and the formula for finding the square of a binomial, (a+b)^2 = a^2+2ab+b^2. By substituting a, b, and c with any values, the formula can be used to solve for the desired ratio and proportion.

3. What are some common applications of solving ratio and proportion problems?

Solving ratio and proportion problems is frequently used in everyday situations, such as determining ingredient ratios in recipes, calculating financial ratios in business, and understanding scale and measurement conversions.

4. What are some strategies for solving ratio and proportion problems?

One strategy for solving ratio and proportion problems is to use cross-multiplication, where the numerators and denominators of two ratios are multiplied to find the missing value. Another strategy is to set up a proportion equation and solve for the missing value using algebraic techniques.

5. How can solving ratio and proportion problems be useful in scientific research?

Ratio and proportion problems can be useful in scientific research for analyzing and comparing data, as well as for making predictions and drawing conclusions based on those comparisons. They can also be used to understand the relationship between different variables in an experiment or study.