Solving Quantities and Units Homework as an Access Student

In summary: The force at the 30cm mark would be labelled as the tension force (T) and the force at the 90cm mark would be labelled as the support force (S).
AbyZrozumiec

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on 3 questions from my assignment as an access student (I never studied science before)

First thing is: Explain the term " centre of gravity" and where it is in relation to a metre rule.

Second: A metre rule is pivoted at its 10cm mark. A 1N force is suspended from the 30cm mark and a Newton meter is used to measure the force required to suspend the ruler horizontally from the 90cm mark. Draw a free body force diagram to represent this. So this is what i did: Its as an attachment

Homework Equations

First thing is: Explain the term " centre of gravity" and where it is in relation to a metre rule.
Is my picture right? and how shall i name those forces?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 2010-02-24 21.21.14.jpg
    2010-02-24 21.21.14.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionFor the first question, the centre of gravity of an object is the point where all of its mass is balanced. This point is usually located near the geometric centre of the object. In the case of a metre rule, the centre of gravity is located near the middle of the rule. For the second question, your diagram looks correct. The force on the left side of the meter rule would be labelled as the weight (W) of the meter rule, while the force on the right side of the meter rule would be labelled as the normal force (N).

Related to Solving Quantities and Units Homework as an Access Student

1. What is the importance of solving quantities and units homework as an access student?

Solving quantities and units homework is important for access students because it helps them develop critical thinking skills and a strong foundation in mathematical concepts. It also prepares them for future science courses that require a strong understanding of units and measurements.

2. How can I effectively solve quantities and units homework as an access student?

To effectively solve quantities and units homework, it is important to first understand the concepts and formulas involved. Practice problems and seek help from teachers or peers if needed. Use units consistently and double check all calculations to ensure accuracy.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving quantities and units homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong units, not converting units correctly, and forgetting to include units in the final answer. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and rounding rules.

4. How can I apply my knowledge of quantities and units to real-world problems?

Quantities and units are essential for solving real-world problems in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics. As an access student, you can apply your knowledge by converting units, solving for unknown quantities, and understanding the relationships between different units and measurements.

5. What resources are available to help me with quantities and units homework as an access student?

There are many resources available to help access students with quantities and units homework. Your teacher, classmates, and online tutorials can provide guidance and support. Additionally, there are textbooks, practice problems, and educational websites that offer explanations and examples to aid in understanding the material.