Solving quadratics with fractions

• MHB
  • Thread starter Simonio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the author is having problems with quadratics with fractions and is looking for a reliable method. He tried multiplying each term by the product of the denominators again and got a different result. He is now trying to factor a quadratic and is getting frustrated.
Simonio
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm having problems with equations such as this which are quadratics with fractions:

2 over 3x + 1 PLUS 3 over 1-x = 1/2.

I know you are supposed to multiply each term by the product of the denominators but i keep getting weird results -so if someone could show me their reliable method, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Simonio said:
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm having problems with equations such as this which are quadratics with fractions:

2 over 3x + 1 PLUS 3 over 1-x = 1/2.

I know you are supposed to multiply each term by the product of the denominators but i keep getting weird results -so if someone could show me their reliable method, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks a lot!

do you mean

$\frac{2}{3x+1} + \frac{3}{1-x} = \frac{1}{2}$

Yes!

then you multiply by (3x+1)(1-x) on both sides what do you get ?

kaliprasad said:
then you multiply by (3x+1)(1-x) on both sides what do you get ?
Well, I get 7x=3 (on the left hand side) = 12x squared-8x + 4

So: 12x squared - 8x +4 = 7x + 3

So: 12x squared -15x -1 = 0 which I then can't seem to factorize(Angry) I've obviously done something fundamentally wrong---help!:confused:

Simonio said:
Well, I get 7x=3 (on the left hand side) = 12x squared-8x + 4

So: 12x squared - 8x +4 = 7x + 3

So: 12x squared -15x -1 = 0 which I then can't seem to factorize(Angry) I've obviously done something fundamentally wrong---help!:confused:
both are wrong. Could you show all the steps

Last edited:
kaliprasad said:
both are wrong. Could you show all the steps

I've tried it again:

(3x + 1)(1-x)2/3x+1 = 2 - 2x
(3x+1)(1-x)3/1-x = 9x+3
(3x+1)(1-x)1/2 = (6x=2)(2-2x) = -12x squared + 8x + 4

So: -12x squared +8x +4 = 7x = 5

This doesn't look right! Where am I going wrong?

Simonio said:
I've tried it again:

(3x + 1)(1-x)2/3x+1 = 2 - 2x
(3x+1)(1-x)3/1-x = 9x+3
(3x+1)(1-x)1/2 = (6x=2)(2-2x) = -12x squared + 8x + 4

So: -12x squared +8x +4 = 7x = 5

This doesn't look right! Where am I going wrong?

I am unable to follow your steps

shall become

$2(1-x) + 3(3x+1) =\frac{(3x+1)(1-x)}{2}$

can you proceed from here

kaliprasad said:
I am unable to follow your steps

shall become

$2(1-x) + 3(3x+1) =\frac{(3x+1)(1-x)}{2}$

can you proceed from here

So: 7x+5 = (Multiply by 2) (6x squared + 2)(1-x) = 6x squared + 4x + 2

So: 6x squared +4x + 2= 7x + 5

How does this look now?? Thanks

Simonio said:
So: 7x+5 = (Multiply by 2) (6x squared + 2)(1-x) = 6x squared + 4x + 2

So: 6x squared +4x + 2= 7x + 5

How does this look now?? Thanks

you should divide RHS by 2 but you multiplied

kaliprasad said:
you should divide RHS by 2 but you multiplied

I multiplied by 2 to cancel out the fraction.

When I do these types of problems, I have to remember to be very careful, as it is easy to make a mistake.

I treat "rational functions" (fractions where we have variables in the numerator and denominator) just like "ordinary fractions".

As you may recall, if we want to add 2 fractions, we need to get a common denominator, in order to add the numerators.

So, we turn:

$\dfrac{2}{3x + 1}$ into:

$\dfrac{2(1 - x)}{(3x + 1)(1 - x)}$ and:

$\dfrac{3}{1-x}$ into:

$\dfrac{3(3x + 1)}{(3x + 1)(1 - x)}$.

Now we can "add the tops" while "keeping the bottoms", that is:

$\dfrac{2}{3x + 1} + \dfrac{3}{1-x} = \dfrac{2(1 - x)}{(3x + 1)(1 - x)} + \dfrac{3(3x + 1)}{(3x + 1)(1 - x)}$

$ = \dfrac{2(1 - x) + 3(3x + 1)}{(3x + 1)(1 - x)}$.

This is a bit messy, so let's clean it up a little bit:

The bottom is:

$(3x + 1)(1 - x) = (3x + 1)(1) - (3x + 1)(x) = 3x + 1 - 3x^2 - x = -3x^2 + 2x + 1$

The top is:

$2(1 - x) + 3(3x + 1) = 2 - 2x + 9x + 3 = 7x + 5$

So our original equation:

$\dfrac{2}{3x + 1} + \dfrac{3}{1 - x} = \dfrac{1}{2}$

is equivalent to:

$\dfrac{7x + 5}{-3x^2 + 2x + 1} = \dfrac{1}{2}$

To "un-fraction-ize", we "cross-multiply" so we get:

$(2)(7x + 5) = -3x^2 + 2x + 1$, which we can then simplify to:

$3x^2 + 12x + 9 = 0$

You should be able to factor this fairly easily.

Do you understand the steps I have taken?

Thanks a lot, that's great. You are quite right to say that it is easy to make a mistake! One can easy make a discrepancy with the signs and sometimes very basic addition and subtraction! I'm a 54 year-old dad who is re-learning some of this stuff to help his son, so some of this maybe to do with my age -but I really appreciate the help, this is a really great site.

Related to Solving quadratics with fractions

1. How do you solve a quadratic equation with fractions?

Solving a quadratic equation with fractions involves the same steps as solving a regular quadratic equation. First, simplify the fractions if possible by finding the lowest common denominator. Then, use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve for the variable.

2. What is the quadratic formula and how does it work for fractions?

The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / (2a), where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the quadratic equation (ax² + bx + c = 0). This formula works for fractions by simply substituting the fractions in for the coefficients and solving the equation accordingly.

3. Can I solve a quadratic equation with fractions without using the quadratic formula?

Yes, it is possible to solve a quadratic equation with fractions without using the quadratic formula. Another method is by factoring the equation. This involves finding two numbers that multiply to the constant term (c) and add up to the coefficient of the middle term (b). These numbers can then be used to rewrite the equation and solve for the variable.

4. Are there any special rules for solving quadratics with fractions?

There are no specific rules for solving quadratics with fractions, but it is important to be careful with the fractions and simplify them before solving the equation. Also, when using the quadratic formula, make sure to properly substitute the fractions in for the coefficients and use the correct order of operations.

5. How do I know if my solution to a quadratic equation with fractions is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to graph the equation and see if the solution(s) make sense in relation to the graph. Additionally, you can use a calculator to solve the equation and compare your solution to the calculator's answer.