Solving Quadratic Equations: m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4=0

In summary, the given quartic equation is not factorable into two quadratics and has no rational roots according to the rational roots theorem. However, using a different method of factoring, the equation can be rewritten as the square of a binomial, indicating that it has a double root at -1. This method may not always work and the rational roots theorem is a more reliable way to determine the roots of a polynomial equation.$
danny12345
m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4=0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Using the rational roots theorem, do you find any rational roots?

That is, let:

\(\displaystyle P(m)=m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4\)

Obviously, if there are any rational roots, they must be negative since each term has a plus before it. So, check the following:

\(\displaystyle m\in\{-1,-2,-4\}\)

And see if any of those value for $m$ makes $P=0$. What do you find?

none of them gave 0.

dansingh said:
none of them gave 0.

Yes, so that means there are no rational roots. The next thing we can try is to see if the quartic polynomial can be factored into two quadratics. So, I would write:

\(\displaystyle m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4=\left(m^2+am+b\right)\left(m^2+cm+d\right)\)

Expand the right side, and then equate corresponding coefficients to get a 4X4 system of equations. What do you find?

solve it for me

dansingh said:
solve it for me

You need to be able to do things like this for yourself, otherwise you will encounter great difficulty down the road. Expanding the right side can be made simpler by writing:

\(\displaystyle \left(m^2+am+b\right)\left(m^2+cm+d\right)=m^2\left(m^2+cm+d\right)+am\left(m^2+cm+d\right)+b\left(m^2+cm+d\right)\)

Now distribute in each of the 3 terms, and them combine like terms (those terms that have the same exponent on $m$)...what do you get.

I will be glad to guide you, but I won't just work the problem for you. Not because I am a big ol' meanie, but because I want you taking part in the process, getting dirt under your fingernails and coming through this with a better understanding than you would get if you just see it solved.

When my dad taught me to change an automobile tire when I was a kid, he didn't say, "Son, grab a chair and watch me change this tire." He said, "Son, grab the jack and tire iron from the trunk, and I will teach you how to change a tire." :)

m^4+m^2(d+ac+b)+m^3(c+a)+m(ad+bc)+bd=0

- - - Updated - - -

now how do iget the coefficient value

dansingh said:

- - - Updated - - -

now how do iget the coefficient value

Yes, so what we have now is:

\(\displaystyle m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4=m^4+(a+c)m^3+(d+ac+b)m^2+(ad+bc)m+bd\)

So, equating coefficients, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle a+c=4\)

\(\displaystyle d+ac+b=8\)

\(\displaystyle ad+bc=8\)

\(\displaystyle bd=4\)

Can you perhaps spot an easy solution?

You end up with the following equations:

\(\displaystyle a+c=4\)

\(\displaystyle b+ac+d=8\)

\(\displaystyle ac+bc=8\)

\(\displaystyle bd=4\)

Not an easy system to solve, I dare say.

However, note that \(\displaystyle bd=4\). This gives ordered pairs \(\displaystyle (-1,-4),(-2,-2),(2,2),(1,4)\) for \(\displaystyle b\) and \(\displaystyle d\) (not necessarily in that order). By checking these pairs one can indeed determine that the given quartic is bi-quadratic (the product of two quadratics).

For me, I'd do it as follows:

I'd first factor $m^4+4m^3+4m^2$ in $m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4=0$, it's just a hunch, or my experience of solving equations that prompted me to do that:eek::

$\begin{align*}m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4&=m^4+4m^3+4m^2+4m^2+8m+4\\&=m^2(m^2+4m+4)+4m^2+8m+4\\&=m^2(m+2)^2+4m^2+8m+4\\&=(m^2+2m)^2+4(m^2+2m)+4\color{green}\,\,\,\text{compare it with}=a^2+4a+4=(a+2)^2\color{black}\\&=(m^2+2m+2)^2\end{align*}$

I see the pattern as
$m^4+4= (m^2+2)^2 - 4m^2$
and
$4m^3+8m = 4m(m^2+2)^2$
so we see $m^2+2$ as common and we proceed as
$m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4$
= $(m^4 + 4)+ (4m^3 + 8m) + 8m^2$
= $(m^2 + 2)^2 - 4m^2 + 4m(m^2 + 2) +8m^2$
= $(m^2+2)^2 + 4m(m+2) + 8m^2$
= $(m^2+2)^2 + 2 * (2m(m+2)) + (2m)^2$
= $(m^2 + 2 + 2m)^2$

another problem was solved in this method also http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/find-sum-real-roots-7882.html

\(\displaystyle u=m^2+2,u^2=(m^2+2)^2=m^4+4m^2+4\)

\(\displaystyle m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4=(m^2+2)^2+4m(m^2+2)+4m^2\)

\(\displaystyle =(u+2m)^2=(m^2+2m+2)^2\)

Last edited:

Related to Solving Quadratic Equations: m^4+4m^3+8m^2+8m+4=0

1. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you need to rearrange the equation into the standard form: ax² + bx + c = 0. Then, you can use the quadratic formula or factorization method to find the solutions for the variable x.

2. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to solve quadratic equations. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are coefficients in the standard form of the equation.

3. Can this equation be solved by factoring?

Yes, this equation can be solved by factoring. However, it may not always be possible to factor a quadratic equation, in which case the quadratic formula can be used.

4. How many solutions can a quadratic equation have?

A quadratic equation can have two solutions, one solution, or no real solutions, depending on the value of the discriminant (b² - 4ac). If the discriminant is positive, there will be two real solutions. If it is zero, there will be one real solution. If it is negative, there will be no real solutions.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. Most scientific calculators have a quadratic formula function that you can use to find the solutions. However, it is still important to understand the steps involved in solving a quadratic equation manually.