Solving Quadratic Equations: Find p=-6

In summary, solving quadratic equations involves finding the value of p when given a specific equation. In this case, p is equal to -6. This can be done by using the quadratic formula or factoring the equation. It is important to remember to check the solutions and make sure they are valid for the given equation.
Madhav Goel

Homework Statement

3x^2 + px + 3 = 0, p>0, one root is square of the other, then p=?? [/B]

Homework Equations

sum of roots = -(coefficient of x)/(coefficient of x^2)[/B]
product of roots= constant term/coeffecient of x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ROot 1 = a
root 2 = b
b=a^2
a.b= 3/3
a^3=1
a=1
a^2=b=1
a+b=-p/3=2
p=-6

Where did i go wrong??[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Madhav Goel said:

Homework Statement

3x^2 + px + 3 = 0, p>0, one root is square of the other, then p=?? [/B]

Homework Equations

sum of roots = -(coefficient of x)/(coefficient of x^2)[/B]
product of roots= constant term/coeffecient of x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ROot 1 = a
root 2 = b
b=a^2
a.b= 3/3
a^3=1
a=1
a^2=b=1
a+b=-p/3=2
p=-6

Where did i go wrong??[/B]

Nowhere: a = 1, p = -6 is the answer; it is the only real solution, but there are two other complex ones.

However, I think you need more explanation. Why do you set a^3 = 1? Why can you set a+b=2? These are true, but you need to give reasons for saying them. I think a better presentation would be to say ##3 x^2 + px + 3 = 3(x-a)(x-a^2)## and just expand out the factorization on the right.

Ray Vickson said:
Nowhere: a = 1, p = -6 is the answer; it is the only real solution, but there are two other complex ones.
I also got a = 1, p = -6, but there is a condition given that p > 0.
Ray Vickson said:
However, I think you need more explanation. Why do you set a^3 = 1? Why can you set a+b=2? These are true, but you need to give reasons for saying them. I think a better presentation would be to say ##3 x^2 + px + 3 = 3(x-a)(x-a^2)## and just expand out the factorization on the right.

Mark44 said:
I also got a = 1, p = -6, but there is a condition given that p > 0.

OK: I missed that. If we allow complex roots (but insist on a real p) there is a value of p > 0 that works.

When I said p = -6 is the only real solution, that was misleading: it is the only solution in which both p and and the roots are real. There are others with real p but complex roots.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:

Ray Vickson said:
OK: I missed that. If we allow complex roots (but insist on a real p) there is a value of p > 0 that works.

When I said p = -6 is the only real solution, that was misleading: it is the only solution in which both p and and the roots are real. There are others with real p but complex roots.
Someone said that I could use cube roots of unity?
What exactly is that??

There are two candidates for p one positive one negative, you found the wrong one.
3x^2 + px + 3 = 0, p>0
so the two roots are
$$w=\dfrac{-p+\sqrt{p^2-36}}{6} \text{ and } w^2=\dfrac{-p-\sqrt{p^2-36}}{6}$$
that is not the important part
we know as you argued above
w^3=1
p=-3(w+w^2)
can you use that to write p^2 in terms of p?
After that solve for p.

Related to Solving Quadratic Equations: Find p=-6

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are various methods for solving quadratic equations, such as factoring, using the quadratic formula, completing the square, or graphing.

What is the value of p in a quadratic equation?

The value of p in a quadratic equation represents the constant term, or the term without a variable. In the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0, p is equal to c.

How do I find the value of p if it is given as -6?

If p is given as -6, then c = -6 in the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0. This means that the equation can be written as ax^2 + bx - 6 = 0.

Can I use any method to solve a quadratic equation with p = -6?

Yes, any method can be used to solve a quadratic equation with p = -6, as long as the equation is in the standard form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.