Solving Pulley Systems with Multiple Masses and Angles

In summary, the tension on the left side of the larger pulley is different than the tension on the right side of that pulley.
mburt

Homework Statement

A crate is pulled up using frictionless pulleys in the manner shown in the figure. The angle is 45 degrees. The masses are, for the small pulley, m1=3.5 kg, for the traveling pulley, M2=6.5 kg, and for the crate, MC=44.2 kg. What is the minimum tension with which the operator must pull on the cable (assume the cable is of negligible mass) in order to slowly raise the crate.

(See the attached picture below)

Homework Equations

First of all note that in the diagram attached, the BLACK parts are the original question, and the RED parts are things I added to help in solving it.

1) I know that T3 has to support at least m1. How would I figure out how much of M2 and MC it supports?

2) Does the Y component of T (ie. Tsin45) equal T2 in the diagram?

3) Since the problem says "slowly raise", does this mean that net force in the Y-direction is zero?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I drew FBDs at m1, and M2 and ended up with these statements:

At m1:

T3 + Tsin45 - T2 - m1g = 0

At M2:

T1 + T2 - M2g - MCg = 0

But seeings there's only 2 equations and 4 unknowns it seems unsolvable.

There must be SOME relationship between T, T1, T2, and T3 that I'm not seeing.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Attachments

• pulleys.png
    pulleys.png
    3 KB · Views: 652
Physics news on Phys.org
In this situation, since all the tensions are from the same string, T1=T2=T3=T

Wow really? Are you sure it's that simple?

Its the same string without any node. any pull on the other side will affect the whole string right?

Ok that seems like it makes sense...one more question though.. how would the pulley with mass = m1 affect the system? Since it's attached to the ceiling wouldn't it's weight be canceled out by T3?

m1 won't take any account unless it has friction.

Alright thanks, I'll try to solve this again now. I appreciate your help

I got an answer of T = 351.7N but unfortunately that's not right.I came up with the statement:

T1 + T2 - M2 - MC = 0

Where T1 and T2 = Tsin45

So:

2Tsin45 = 497.367N

and T = 351.7N

But this isn't the right answer... Thanks again for your help!

Do you have the answer sheet? what's the correct answer?

I don't have the answer sheet, but its an online assignment and when I enter an answer It tells me if its wrong.

The only thing I can figure is that the tension on the left side of the larger pulley is different than the tension on the right side of that pulley

hmmm... did I miss something... >.<
try 248.7

Okay sorry for being not able to help. got a little confused

No don't say sorry, I appreciate your help!

I only have two tries left so I might try to work it out again...maybe i'll get some more understanding about this question

248.7N was the correct answer...so thanks!

I guess no matter what the angle T is at it will always be equal to the tension on the other side of the pulley

Oh haha!
The problem is I didn't know what's the purpose of the angle, so I got confused lol.
Thanks too that I learned something here :D

Related to Solving Pulley Systems with Multiple Masses and Angles

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove, a rope or belt, and a load. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift heavy objects.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by distributing the weight of a load over multiple ropes and pulleys. The more pulleys in the system, the less force is needed to lift the load. The direction of the force is also changed, making it easier to lift the load in a different direction.

What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulley systems have a stationary pulley, movable pulley systems have a pulley that moves with the load, and compound pulley systems combine both fixed and movable pulleys.

How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the load by the force needed to lift it. For example, if a load weighs 100 pounds and it takes 20 pounds of force to lift it, the mechanical advantage would be 5 (100/20 = 5).

What are the advantages of using pulley systems?

Using pulley systems can make it easier to lift heavy objects, reduce the amount of force needed, and change the direction of the force. It also allows for more control and precision when lifting objects, making it a useful tool in many industries and applications.