Motion in Mechanics: Exploring Basic Questions and Examples

• Thread starter Cummings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, Motion is being studied by the conversation participants, specifically the concepts of velocity and acceleration. The first question discusses the calculation of velocity under the influence of a crosswind, with the answer being 103.08m/s. The second question involves a car and a motorcycle policeman with different speeds and acceleration rates, and the task is to determine the time at which the policeman will catch up to the car. The answer is found by calculating the relative speed of the policeman as seen from the car and using the distance between them. The correct answer is 10 seconds, not 10^3 as stated in the question.
Cummings
I am upto Motion in my studies, but the last time i studied it was a year ago and i am trying to get into swing of it again.

2 question that bug me at the moment.

A plane is flying due south at 100m/s on an initially still day. Then a crosswind with a velocity of 25m/s towards the west beings to blow.
- What is the velocity of the plane under the influence of this crosswind?
- In which direction should the pilot steer the plane to maintain a velovity of 100m/s south?

I used a simple vector sum:
vplane = 100
vair = 25
vsum = square root((vplane^2)+(vair^2))
i got vsum = 103.08m/s

and the direction is South 14Degrees West.

I think that's right, the answer states its 10^3 ..but i think they accidentely put the 3 as a power. 10^3 not 103

A car traveling with a constant speed of 80 km/h passes a stationary motercycle policeman. The policeman sets off in pursuit, acceserating to 80km/h in 10s and reaching a contstant speed of 100km/h after a further 5s. At what time will the policeman catchup with the car?

This question really made me think of last years studies, but i couldn't get my head around it. After the 15 seconds i can find out how far the car and policemen have traveled, but can't figure it out further.

Thanks for your time,
Cummings
Cummings@softhome.net

Physics news on Phys.org
I will go for question 2.
First of all, i will assume that the acceleration in the first 10 seconds is constant, and that it is also constant (but not with the same value) in the next 5 seconds.
You said you can figure out how far the policeman and car went after the first 15 seconds.
Now, (i will leave the numbers work for you) suppose the policeman and the car are X kilometers apart after the 15 seconds, the speed of the car will be constant (it didn't accelerate) and the speed of the policeman will also be constant (acceleration stopped after the first 15 seconds), all you have to do is to figure out the relative speed of policeman as seen from the car (which obviously is 100-80=20 km/h), it is like if we are assuming that the car is stationary, and the policeman is moving at the speed of 20 km/h, the distance between them is X as we said, so simply :
20=X/t
20t=X
t=X/20

It is this simple ! you did the hard work, now you only need to plug the values in that equation :smile:.

20kmh is the speed
we know the distance and thus can find the time.

Okies..easy done. Thanks :)

What is the definition of basic mechanics?

Basic mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause it.

What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion, also known as Newton's laws, are:
1. An object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma).
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity includes both speed and direction, while speed only refers to the rate of motion.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the gravitational pull of the environment.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two sliding surfaces. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.