Solving problems using the Average Value function

In summary, the average value of $mpg(t)$ over the time interval $0 \leq t \leq \pi$ is $\frac{30\pi + 20}{\pi}$.
shamieh
The miles per gallon of my car on a recent trip at time t was given by $mpg(t) = 30 + 10sin(t)$ where $0 <= t <= \pi$. Find the average value of $mpg(t)$ over this time interval.

So I'm kind of confused on how to do this. Here is what I have set up, let me know if I'm on the wrong track or not. Thanks in advance.

$\frac{1}{\pi} \int^\pi_0 (30 + 10sin(t)) \, dt$

$\frac{1}{\pi} [30x - 10cos(t)]$ $|^\pi_0$

$\frac{1}{\pi} ( [30\pi + 10] + [+10])$

$\frac{1}{\pi} [30\pi + 20]$

= $\frac{30\pi}{\pi} + \frac{20}{\pi} = \frac{30\pi + 20}{\pi}$

By the way I just completely guessed on how to do this, so this attempt may look idiotic lol. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is correct.

I only have one very minor quibble...in your second line of work, you have an $x$ in your antiderivative when you have integrated with respect to $t$, but I highly suspect this is just a typo.

In your $\LaTeX$ coding, you may precede trigonometric (and other pre-defined) functions with a backslash so that they are not italicized and will not look like a string of variables. For example:

tan(\theta) gives \(\displaystyle tan(\theta)\)

whereas:

\tan(\theta) gives \(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)\)

Also, I highly recommend using the \(\displaystyle \Sigma\) button on our toolbar to generate MATH tags rather than using the dollar sign tags. The button automatically generates the command \displaystyle which makes certain commands large and look better. Compare the difference:

\$\frac{1}{\pi} \int^\pi_0 (30 + 10\sin(t)) \, dt\$ gives $\frac{1}{\pi} \int^\pi_0 (30 + 10\sin(t)) \, dt$

whereas:

[MATH]\frac{1}{\pi} \int^\pi_0 (30 + 10\sin(t)) \, dt[/MATH] gives \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\pi} \int^\pi_0 (30 + 10\sin(t)) \, dt\)

Ahh thank you Mark, I will definitely absorb that advice.

Hey Mark, sorry to double post. The reason I have been using the $ for LaTEx is because it is so convenient to just type rather than using the Sigma button to highlight and then click and then highlight and click... I was wondering is there a ctrl key or some shortcut I can do to just implement latex with that button WITHOUT typing [math every time? Was just curious.

shamieh said:
Hey Mark, sorry to double post. The reason I have been using the $ for LaTEx is because it is so convenient to just type rather than using the Sigma button to highlight and then click and then highlight and click... I was wondering is there a ctrl key or some shortcut I can do to just implement latex with that button WITHOUT typing [math every time? Was just curious.

What I do is click the button first, and then enter the code (you will find your cursor is conveniently placed at the proper place to begin entering your code). Doing it this way is a bit quicker than typing out the dollar sign tags, and the result is much better looking output that results from the BBCode associated with the MATH tags, i.e., the inclusion of the \displaystyle command. :D

Related to Solving problems using the Average Value function

1. What is the Average Value function?

The Average Value function is a mathematical tool used to find the average value of a function over a specific interval. It is also known as the mean value theorem and helps to approximate the value of a function at a particular point.

2. How is the Average Value function calculated?

The Average Value function is calculated by taking the integral of the function over the given interval and dividing it by the length of the interval. In other words, it is the average of the function's values over a given interval.

3. What is the significance of the Average Value function?

The Average Value function is significant because it allows us to find the average rate of change of a function over a specified interval. This can be useful in real-world applications, such as calculating average speed or average temperature over a given time period.

4. Can the Average Value function be used for any type of function?

Yes, the Average Value function can be used for any continuous function over a given interval. However, it may not be applicable for functions with discontinuities or those that are not defined over the entire interval.

5. How can the Average Value function be applied in problem-solving?

The Average Value function can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the average rate of change, average velocity, or average temperature over a given time period. It can also be used to approximate the value of a function at a particular point, which can be helpful in estimating future values or making predictions.