Solving Problems in Theoretical Acoustics: Need Book Suggestions

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking resources or suggestions for solving problems in theoretical acoustics, particularly with regards to pressure fields from monopoles, dipoles, and pulsating spheres. The person currently owns a book with equations but no worked examples, and is looking for other resources to help with their understanding. A suggestion is given to check out the book "Foundations of Engineering Acoustics" by Frank J. Fahy, specifically chapters 5 and 6 which cover the topics the person is interested in. Other book recommendations are also mentioned.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Does anyone happen to know of a book or other resource that has solved problems in theoretical acoustics? I am particularily interested in the basics like pressure fields from monopoles, dipoles and pulsating spheres in both the near and far fields. The book I currently own has plenty of equations, but absolutely no worked examples. I know that the numbers I am getting for certain things I am looking at are way too low. I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what.

Any book/web site suggestions?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

One book that I would highly recommend is "Acoustics: An Introduction" by Heinrich Kuttruff. It has a great balance of theoretical explanations and worked examples, including those related to pressure fields from monopoles, dipoles, and pulsating spheres in both near and far fields. It also covers a wide range of topics in acoustics, making it a comprehensive resource for solving problems in theoretical acoustics. Additionally, the book includes exercises and solutions, which can be helpful in identifying and correcting any mistakes in your calculations. I hope this suggestion helps and good luck with your studies!

Related to Solving Problems in Theoretical Acoustics: Need Book Suggestions

1. What is the best book for beginners in theoretical acoustics?

One of the most highly recommended books for beginners in theoretical acoustics is "Fundamentals of Acoustics" by Lawrence E. Kinsler, Austin R. Frey, Alan B. Coppens, and James V. Sanders. This book covers the basic principles and concepts of acoustics, making it a great starting point for those new to the field.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on advanced topics in theoretical acoustics?

Yes, there are several books that delve into more advanced topics in theoretical acoustics. Some examples include "Theoretical Acoustics" by Philip M. Morse and K. Uno Ingard, "Acoustics: Sound Fields and Transducers" by Leo L. Beranek, and "Acoustics of Fluid-Structure Interactions" by M. S. Howe.

3. Which book provides a good balance between theory and practical applications in theoretical acoustics?

"The Science of Sound" by Thomas D. Rossing, Richard F. Moore, and Paul A. Wheeler is a great option for those looking for a balance between theory and practical applications. It covers a wide range of topics in acoustics and includes examples and exercises to reinforce the concepts.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on computational methods in theoretical acoustics?

Yes, "Computational Methods for Acoustics" by Frank J. Fahy and Paolo Gardonio is a comprehensive guide to using numerical methods in acoustics. It covers topics such as finite element methods, boundary element methods, and ray tracing methods.

5. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can enhance my understanding of theoretical acoustics?

Yes, there are several online resources and supplementary materials available for those studying theoretical acoustics. Some examples include lecture notes from universities, online courses, and interactive simulations and demonstrations. Additionally, many books on theoretical acoustics come with companion websites that offer additional resources and materials.