Exploring the Relationship Between Worms and Cancer

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the size and genome data of Caenorhabditis elegans, a worm used as a model organism in labs. The genome website for NCBI was mentioned as a resource for whole genome data. The number of genes in C. elegans was compared to those in humans, with 20,443 genes for C. elegans and about 30,000 genes for humans. The interest in C. elegans was also discussed, with reasons including its appearance and its potential use in cancer research.
Pattielli
It is just not out of my interest, which is why my question is present here, what size does it has ?

Thank you very much,

Biology news on Phys.org
Which worm do you want? there http://www.howe.k12.ok.us/~jimaskew/bworm.htm [Broken]

For whole genome data you can always visit the
NCBI genome website

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the worm you are looking at. Caenorhabditis elegans is a worm used as a model organism in labs, its 97-million base genome was sequenced (compared to the 3-billion bases in the human genome) I'm not sure how many genes are encoded in that though.

From iansmith's link: 20,443 genes for C. elegans compared to about 30,000 (?) genes in H. sapiens.

Thank iansmith very much for your help (this thread and that Worms thread too)

Monique said:
Depends on the worm you are looking at. Caenorhabditis elegans is a worm used as a model organism in labs, its 97-million base genome was sequenced (compared to the 3-billion bases in the human genome) I'm not sure how many genes are encoded in that though.
:sml: Yes, i am looking for that one...You read it !

So why the interest in C. elegans? :)

First of all, maybe number one reason : They look terrible, they come out a lot after the rain...My friends say they are lovely and easy...
Second, I am interested in cancer which there are lots of patients dying of...
Have you talked to any patient who has cancerous cells ?

1. What is the average size of a worm's genome?

The average size of a worm's genome varies depending on the specific type of worm. However, the majority of worms have a genome size ranging from 100-500 million base pairs.

2. How does the size of a worm's genome compare to other organisms?

In general, worms have smaller genomes compared to other organisms. For example, humans have a genome size of around 3 billion base pairs, while worms have an average of 100-500 million base pairs.

3. What factors can influence the size of a worm's genome?

The size of a worm's genome can be influenced by various factors, including the type of worm, its evolutionary history, and its environment. Some worms have larger genomes due to gene duplications or a higher number of repetitive sequences.

4. Are there any benefits to having a larger genome for worms?

Having a larger genome can provide worms with a wider range of genetic variation, allowing for adaptation to different environments and potential advantages in terms of survival and reproduction.

5. Can the size of a worm's genome affect its physical characteristics or behavior?

There have been some studies that suggest a correlation between genome size and certain physical or behavioral characteristics in worms. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between genome size and these traits.