Solving Problem 3 in MIT's Statistical Physics Course

In summary, to approach solving Problem 3 in MIT's Statistical Physics Course, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement, review relevant concepts and equations, break down the problem into smaller parts, apply appropriate equations and double check calculations. Relevant concepts include statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, and probability, specifically entropy, partition functions, and the Boltzmann distribution. To check for correctness, compare your solution to the expected answer or use a different method, and carefully check calculations and assumptions. You can use a calculator or other tools, but make sure to show all work and clearly explain steps. The time spent on solving Problem 3 may vary, but it is important to allocate enough time for understanding, accuracy, and error-checking
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] statistical physics

Homework Statement

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Physics/8-044Spring-2004/AC9B128C-9358-4177-BFE6-A142E0FD897B/0/ps4.pdf
I am working on Problem 3.
So I want to calculate the integral of dW along each of those paths. But how can I relate dW to dV? dW is equal to F dot dl but I don't really know F or dl here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another expression for work is the following:

[tex]\int_{V_1}^{V_2} PdV[/tex]

Try to start from this expression for this problem.

Related to Solving Problem 3 in MIT's Statistical Physics Course

1. How do I approach solving Problem 3 in MIT's Statistical Physics Course?

To solve Problem 3 in MIT's Statistical Physics Course, it is important to first carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, review the relevant concepts and equations from the course material. Next, break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and apply the appropriate equations and concepts to solve each part. Finally, double check your calculations and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What concepts from the course are relevant to solving Problem 3?

Some of the relevant concepts from the course include statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, and probability. Specifically, you may need to use concepts such as entropy, partition functions, and the Boltzmann distribution to solve Problem 3.

3. How do I know if my solution to Problem 3 is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by comparing it to the expected answer or by using a different method to solve the problem. Additionally, make sure to carefully check your calculations and assumptions to avoid any errors.

4. Can I use a calculator or other tools to solve Problem 3?

Yes, you can use a calculator or other tools to help you solve Problem 3. However, make sure to show all of your work and clearly explain your steps so that the grader can follow your thought process.

5. How much time should I spend on solving Problem 3?

The amount of time you spend on solving Problem 3 may vary depending on your familiarity with the concepts and your problem-solving skills. However, it is important to allocate enough time to carefully read and understand the problem, solve it accurately, and check your work for any errors. As a general guideline, you may want to allocate at least 30 minutes to an hour for solving Problem 3.