Solving Probability Problem: Find P(Exactly 1 Person Gets Own Name Tag)

• Thread starter superconduct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the problem is about five students randomly selecting a name tag from a bag after removing and shuffling them. The probability of exactly one person getting their own name tag can be calculated by dividing the number of arrangements where no one gets their own name tag by the total number of arrangements. This can be done by dividing the total number of permutations (n!) by the product of the lengths of the cycles, which in this case are (1,4) and (1,2,2). Therefore, the desired probability is (30+15)/(5!) = 3/8. The concept of cycles and fixed points are used in this calculation.
superconduct
Problem : Five students at a meeting remove their name tags and put them in a hat; the five students then each randomly choose one of the name tags from the bag. What is the probability that exactly one person gets their own name tag?

Attempt: I assumed the first person gets his/her own nametag and let other people be B,C,D and E. The number of arrangements of the persons that none of them gets his/her own nametag =9 : CBED, CDEB, CEBD, DBEC, DEBC, DECB, EBCD, EDBC, EDCB. And I get the answer 9/(4!) = 3/8

Then I found a solution of it : The selection of random nametags amounts to a selection of a random permutation of the five students from the symmetric group S5. The condition will be met if and only if the selected permutation σ has exactly one cycle of length one (i.e. exactly one fixed point). The only distinct cycle types with exactly one fixed point are (1,4) and (1,2,2). There are (5!)/4=30 permutations of the first type and (5!)/(2^3)=15 permutations of the second. Thus, the desired probability is (30+15)/(5!) = 3/8

I don't understand the solution of it and I want to know about it. Can someone please explain the solution to me? Like what are those S5, σ, cycle types, fixed points, how it comes up with (5!)/4 and (5!)/(2^3)?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi superconduct! :smile:
superconduct said:
… what are those S5, σ, cycle types, fixed points, how it comes up with (5!)/4 and (5!)/(2^3)?

it's just jargon! :rolleyes:

it means that if you daisy-chain the people with each other's name-tags, then each daisy-chain is called a cycle, and the only way you can split 4 people into daisy-chains (without any "solo" chain) is {4} and {2,2} :wink:

(and "σ" is a symbol for a permutation (more usually, "π", i think), which means any re-ordering)

Thank you for answering tim.
However I still don't understand the reason to daisy-chain it, and I am not sure if I get your {4}, {2,2} correctly...May I have some more explanation?

yes … if everyone links an arm with the person whose name-tag he's wearing, then sooner or later there'll be a circle

everybody will be in exactly one circle

so the whole crowd is divided into circles, which in maths are called cycles (and i called daisy-chains)

the question stipulates that the 4 people have no cycles with only one person in

so that means there's either a cycle of all 4, or 2 cycles of 2 :smile:

but how come (5!)/4 and (5!)/(2^3) give the permutations with exactly 1 person chosen the correct tag? Why interpreting it as cycles will be able to do this convenient calculation?

hi superconduct! :smile:
superconduct said:
but how come (5!)/4 and (5!)/(2^3) give the permutations with exactly 1 person chosen the correct tag? Why interpreting it as cycles will be able to do this convenient calculation?

the number of ways of splitting n objects into cycles of lengths l1, … lm is n!/l1 … lm

to prove this, make m columns, of widths l1, … lm

in each row, write a different permutation of n objects (or numbers) … clearly, that's n! rows

now we have double-counting because eg if the width of a column is 4, then the order abcd is the same cycle as bcda, cdab, and dabc …

generally, any column of width li has the same cycle li times,

and so the total number of cycles is the total number of permutations divided by the products of the lengths of the cycles :wink:

hmm … that's a bit messy … can anyone provide a simpler proof? :smile:

Related to Solving Probability Problem: Find P(Exactly 1 Person Gets Own Name Tag)

What is the formula for finding the probability of exactly 1 person getting their own name tag?

The formula for finding the probability of exactly 1 person getting their own name tag is P = (n-1)!/n!, where n is the total number of people.

How do you determine the total number of possible outcomes in this probability problem?

The total number of possible outcomes can be determined by multiplying the number of people (n) by the number of possible arrangements of the name tags (n!).

Can you give an example of a situation where this probability problem would apply?

This probability problem could apply to a group of 10 people, each with their own name tag, and they will randomly draw one name tag to wear for the day.

How can you use a tree diagram to solve this probability problem?

A tree diagram can be used to visualize the different possible outcomes and their probabilities. Each branch represents a different person getting their own name tag, and the probabilities can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities along each branch.

Is there a shortcut or easier way to calculate this probability?

Yes, there is a shortcut formula for calculating this probability, which is P = 1/n. This formula can be used when there are a large number of people and it becomes difficult to use the traditional formula.