Solving PreCalc Problems: Removing Numbers and Simplifying Expressions

• Thread starter noobshere2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalc
In summary: I'm getting an error. Can you help me with that?In summary, the person is stumped by an extra integer in a problem, and asks for help.
Physics news on Phys.org
Please remove the img tags in your posts. The images are too big and they are screwing up the formatting of the forum.

noobshere2 said:
I'm completely stumped. No idea how to remove the number in such as the cos2x, ect...
Have you learned the double-angle identities?

Or how to simplify the H/D with the fractions at the bottom,
A fraction bar simply means a division. You can rewrite as a division of two fractions, and then a multiplication. For example:
[tex]\frac{\frac{A}{B}}{\frac{C}{D}}=\frac{A}{B} \div \frac{C}{D} = \frac{A}{B} \cdot \frac{D}{C}[/tex]
You should have learned this in algebra.

noobshere2 said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stumped. No idea how to remove the number in such as the cos2x, ect... Or how to simplify the H/D with the fractions at the bottom, or the cotx-tanx... :\
Please resize both pictures to no larger than 650 x 490 and you can post them again.

Thanks.

There we go. Yes, I've learned the Double Angle formulas. And yes, eumyang. I meant H/D as a reference to the problem... I've done most of the problems already, if someone would give me the first step or such, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly stumped by the extra integer (cos^2(3x))

That extra 3, ect, is completely blowing me off course :(

noobshere2 said:
I've done most of the problems already, if someone would give me the first step or such, that would be greatly appreciated.
No, you have to show whatever work you have, and the rest of us can check it. I think that's the rule here.

I'm mostly stumped by the extra integer (cos^2(3x))

That extra 3, ect, is completely blowing me off course :(
It shouldn't. 6x = 2(3x), so use a double-angle identity on the right side of
[tex]\cos^2 3x = \frac{1+\cos 6x}{2}[/tex]

Here's an example using a different identity. If
[tex]\sin 2\theta = 2\sin \theta \cos \theta[/tex]
then
[tex]\sin 10x = \sin 2(5x) = 2\sin 5x \cos 5x[/tex]

Related to Solving PreCalc Problems: Removing Numbers and Simplifying Expressions

What is PreCalc?

PreCalc, short for Precalculus, is a course that covers topics in algebra, trigonometry, and other advanced math concepts to prepare students for calculus.

Why is PreCalc important?

PreCalc is important because it builds a strong foundation for students to understand and excel in calculus, which is a required subject for many STEM and related fields. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What topics are covered in PreCalc?

Some of the topics covered in PreCalc include functions, equations, graphing, logarithms, trigonometry, and complex numbers.

Is it necessary to take PreCalc before Calculus?

While some students may be able to skip PreCalc and go straight to Calculus, it is generally recommended to take PreCalc first. This is because PreCalc covers important foundational concepts that are necessary for understanding and succeeding in Calculus.

What can I do to prepare for PreCalc?

To prepare for PreCalc, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebra and geometry. Reviewing previous math concepts and practicing problem-solving skills can also be helpful.