Solving Potential Diff. Between Points a & b: Part (b) & (c)

In summary: I just don't know how to do it the easy way from inspection. So I have found out something too.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential difference between points a and b in a circuit involving capacitors and batteries. There is confusion about the direction of current and the role of the extra batteries. The correct solution involves using Kirchhoff's voltage laws and considering the charges on the capacitors. Ultimately, the potential difference is determined to be -10.3 volts.
Epiclightning

Homework Statement

Find the potential difference between points a & b. Diagrams attached below. I have doubts in part (b) and (c).

Homework Equations

Q = CV, kirchhoff's laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't get how the current can flow in opposite directions in part(b). if we choose the conventional notation, then the current flows out of both positive terminals and both intersect?? If not, how can we let the current flow out of the positive terminal in one battery and out of the negative terminal in the other?

In part (c), I'm confused as to how current could flow through that bridge in the middle. If we look at current coming out of the battery on the left, it will flow up the bridge. If we look at current flowing out of the right battery, it will flow down the bridge. This is contradictory, and if I change the direction of the current, I'm messing up the conventions again.

Attachments

• (b).jpg
    (b).jpg
    16 KB · Views: 348
  • (c).jpg
    (c).jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that each of the various networks involve capacitors in a steady state -- there would be no current flow. It seems you are being asked to determine the voltage potential that exists between points a & b in each network. You need to apply Kirchhoff's voltage laws.

so the capacitors are charged already? how can there be potential difference without current?

Epiclightning said:
so the capacitors are charged already? how can there be potential difference without current?
It is the electric field in between the capacitor plates that is responsible for a potential difference; the p.d. across a capacitor is not related to current.

Qwertywerty said:
It is the electric field in between the capacitor plates that is responsible for a potential difference; the p.d.
across a capacitor is not related to current

okay but i will have to assume charges to use kirchhoffs laws. how can the charges exist if the batteries don't give a current...unless the capacitors are charged already?
To clarify, the circuit is not physically possible, right? what exactly is the purpose of the extra batteries?

Likes Merlin3189
Epiclightning said:
okay but i will have to assume charges to use kirchhoffs laws. how can the charges exist if the batteries don't give a current...unless the capacitors are charged already?
To clarify, the circuit is not physically possible, right? what exactly is the purpose of the extra batteries?
The capacitors are charged by the batteries and hence, no current flows in the circuit in the steady state. This circuit is totally possible. Now, do you know how KVL is used for this type of capacitor circuits?

yes, i think:
For (b):

VA +12 - q/4 -12 = VB
VA - VB = q/4

Also VA - VB = -q/2 if I go the other way
but this gives q = 0...
The answer is given as difference in potential = -8 volts

Epiclightning said:
Also VA - VB = -q/2 if I go the other way
but this gives q = 0...
I believe you are right. There is no net voltage in the circuit to charge the capacitors, hence, if you connect a voltmeter between a and b, it will read 0V.

If it helps you can see or justify this by a way of thinking I recently found useful. Going down, each voltage on the left is double the last. But each capacitance is half the last. So CV is equal for each. And they are all directly connected on the right hand side. So OK it's not V but (V - vb), but they are directly connected so vb is the same for each, so (V - vb) same for each. So the charges must be equal for each. But now for the plates on the right hand side the charge can't be the same for each, because if there is any positive charge there has to be a negative one. So the charges can only be 0.

but the voltages are 12 volts each, so how can the voltage on the left be double of the last?

I am talking about problem b where the voltages are 6, 12, 24; second double of first, third double of second.

Oh, alright.
But I don't think I understand. I get that q= CV is the same for each, but if all the charges are zero, then there is no potential change at the capacitors. The answer is given as -10.3 volts

Epiclightning said:
Oh, alright.
But I don't think I understand. I get that q= CV is the same for each, but if all the charges are zero, then there is no potential change at the capacitors. The answer is given as -10.3 volts
Yes. It is -10.3V and not 0.

epenguin said:
I am talking about problem b where the voltages are 6, 12, 24; second double of first, third double of second.
You mean problem d, right? @Penguin

cnh1995 said:
Yes. It is -10.3V and not 0.
I believe 0V was your answer to problem b, no? @cnh1995

Epiclightning said:
Oh, alright.
Didn't you already know how to solve that question? @Epiclightning

Trying to get us back on track - I got a little mixed up. I apologise for any confusion I may have caused.

Qwertywerty said:
I believe 0V was your answer to problem b, no? @cnh1995
The circular circuit with two
12V sources...

Last edited:
epenguin said:
But now for the plates on the right hand side the charge can't be the same for each, because if there is any positive charge there has to be a negative one.
True. But I believe that doesn't mean charges should be 0 on each capacitor. According to KCL, sum of charges of all the capacitors should be 0. It turns out that RHS plates of 1uF and 2uF have a -ve charge and RHS plate of 4uF has a +ve charge such that
total charge on RHS plates=total charge on LHS plates=0.

Last edited:
Problem d

Yes this will teach me to practice what I was just preaching to someone else here and do the easy check calculations, and also check qualitative arguments by calculations..

In fact having done it I agree Vb ≈ 10.3 V.

It is better to adopt the Wild idea :oldwink: giving it as a rational number, Vb = 3×24/7 so then we are able to see that the charges add up exactly, not just approximately and so plausibly exactly, to 0.
I get

Q1 = -24×5/7, Q2 = 24/7, Q3 = 24×4/7

Qwertywerty said:
You mean problem d, right? @PenguinI believe 0V was your answer to problem b, no? @cnh1995Didn't you already know how to solve that question? @Epiclightning

Trying to get us back on track - I got a little mixed up. I apologise for any confusion I may have caused.

I think so:confused: , now labelled my last post so. Got confused I think because they were presented out of order. #9 is wrong.

Related to Solving Potential Diff. Between Points a & b: Part (b) & (c)

1. What is the potential difference between points A and B?

The potential difference (V) between points A and B is the difference in electric potential (V) between the two points. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the work done per unit charge in moving a charge from point A to B.

2. How do you calculate the potential difference between points A and B?

The potential difference between points A and B can be calculated using the formula V = W/q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and q is the charge. It can also be calculated by subtracting the electric potential at point B from the electric potential at point A.

3. What factors affect the potential difference between points A and B?

The potential difference between points A and B is affected by the distance between the points, the amount of charge at each point, and the medium between the points. It is also affected by any external electric fields present.

4. Why is it important to solve for the potential difference between points A and B?

The potential difference between points A and B is important because it determines the flow of electric current between the two points. It also helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and the relationship between electric potential and energy.

5. How can the potential difference between points A and B be used in practical applications?

The potential difference between points A and B is used in many practical applications, such as in electronic devices and power systems. It is also used in measuring the strength of electric fields and in calculating the force on a charged particle moving between the two points.