Solving Physics Problems: Dropped Stones, Thrown Balls, and Falling Tiles

In summary, the conversation discusses three scenarios involving objects falling due to gravity. The first scenario involves a spelunker dropping a stone into a hole and determining the depth of the hole based on the time it takes for the sound of the stone hitting the bottom to be heard. The second scenario involves a person trying to catch a ball thrown from the top of a building, and the third scenario involves an observer inside a building measuring the height of a falling roof tile based on the time it takes to pass her window. All three scenarios involve equations for acceleration due to gravity.
SomeHustler
1. A spelunker (cave explorer) drops a stone from rest into a hole. The speed of sound is 343 m/s in air, and the sound of the stone striking the bottom is heard 1.64 s after the stone is dropped. How deep is the hole?

2. A ball is thrown upward from the top of a 25.0-m-tall building. The ball's initial speed is 12 m/s. At the same instant, a person is running on the ground at a distance of 32.6 m from the building. What must be the average speed of the person if he is to catch the ball at the bottom of the building?

3. A roof tile falls from rest from the top of a building. An observer inside the building notices that it takes 0.18 s for the tile to pass her window, whose height is 1.8 m. How far above the top of this window is the roof?

Homework Equations

Acceleratior = (Vf + Vi) / time displacement

Vector average = (Vf + Vi) / 2

Vector Average = distance displacement / time displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue, if someone could help me that would be great. I can't do either of those 3 for some reason.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Give these a shot... all of them involve acceleration due to gravity. Have you studied equations for constant acceleration?

I can provide some guidance and steps to solve these physics problems:

1. To solve the first problem, we can use the equation for the speed of sound: v = d/t, where v is the speed of sound, d is the distance the sound travels, and t is the time it takes for the sound to travel. We know the speed of sound (343 m/s) and the time it takes for the sound to reach the observer (1.64 s). Since the sound has to travel down and then back up, we can divide the time by 2 to get the time it takes for the stone to reach the bottom of the hole (0.82 s). Using this time, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the distance, d = v*t. Plugging in the values, we get d = 343 m/s * 0.82 s = 281.26 m. Therefore, the depth of the hole is approximately 281 meters.

2. For the second problem, we can use the equations of motion for a ball thrown upward. The ball's initial velocity is 12 m/s and it is thrown from a height of 25.0 m. We need to find the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground. Using the equation h = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where h is the height, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time, we can solve for t. Plugging in the values, we get 25.0 m = 12 m/s * t + 1/2 * (-9.8 m/s^2) * t^2. This is a quadratic equation that we can solve to find t. We get two solutions, t = 2.06 s and t = -1.89 s. Since we are only interested in the positive value, we can discard the negative solution. Therefore, it takes approximately 2.06 seconds for the ball to reach the ground. Now, we can use the equation v = Vi + a*t to find the final velocity of the ball just before it reaches the ground. Plugging in the values, we get v = 12 m/s + (-9.8 m/s^2) * 2.06 s = -8.12 m/s. This means the ball is

Related to Solving Physics Problems: Dropped Stones, Thrown Balls, and Falling Tiles

1. How do I determine the velocity of a dropped stone?

The velocity of a dropped stone can be determined by using the equation v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the stone has been falling.

2. How do I calculate the distance a thrown ball will travel?

The distance a thrown ball will travel can be calculated using the equation d = v*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, t is the time the ball is in the air, and a is the acceleration (typically -9.8 m/s^2 due to gravity).

3. How do I determine the force of impact of a falling tile?

The force of impact of a falling tile can be determined using the equation F = m*a, where F is the force of impact, m is the mass of the tile, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2).

4. How do I account for air resistance when solving physics problems?

Air resistance can be accounted for by using the equation F = 1/2*rho*Cd*A*v^2, where F is the force of air resistance, rho is the density of air, Cd is the drag coefficient, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

5. How do I use kinematic equations to solve physics problems?

Kinematic equations can be used to solve physics problems by first identifying the known variables and then choosing the appropriate equation to use based on those variables. It is important to carefully define the direction of motion and to use consistent units throughout the calculation.