Solving Physics Homework: Calculating Force & Speed of Car

In summary, when calculating the force of a car, use the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. To calculate the speed of a car, use the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. It is important to use consistent units (Newtons for force and meters per second for speed) throughout your calculations. Speed and velocity are two different measurements, with velocity including direction. You can check the accuracy of your calculations by using the formula v = √(2ad) and ensuring consistent units.
hcps-chent1

Homework Statement

A mechanic pushes a 3703 kg car from rest to a speed of v, doing 6563 J of work in the
process. During this time, the carmoves 22m.
a)Neglecting friction between the car and the road, find v.
b)Find the horizontal force exerted on the car.

Homework Equations

no idea

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't the change in kinetic energy be the same as the work the person does in the process?

rock.freak667 said:
Wouldn't the change in kinetic energy be the same as the work the person does in the process?

what?

Related to Solving Physics Homework: Calculating Force & Speed of Car

1. How do I calculate the force of a car?

To calculate the force of a car, you will need to use the equation F=ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. First, determine the mass of the car in kilograms. Next, measure the acceleration of the car in meters per second squared. Finally, plug these values into the equation to find the force in Newtons.

2. What units should I use when calculating force and speed of a car?

When calculating force and speed of a car, it is important to use the correct units. Force is typically measured in Newtons (N), while speed is measured in meters per second (m/s). It is important to use consistent units throughout your calculations to avoid errors.

3. How do I calculate the speed of a car?

The speed of a car can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v represents velocity (speed), d represents distance, and t represents time. First, measure the distance the car travels in meters. Next, record the time it takes for the car to travel that distance in seconds. Finally, plug these values into the equation to find the speed of the car in meters per second.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

While speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, they are actually two different measurements. Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. This means that velocity includes both the speed of an object and its direction of movement.

5. How can I check if my calculations for force and speed of a car are correct?

To check the accuracy of your calculations, you can use the formula v = √(2ad), where v represents velocity, a represents acceleration, and d represents distance. If your calculated value for velocity matches the value obtained using this formula, then your calculations are likely correct. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double check your units and ensure they are consistent throughout your calculations.