Solving Phase Change & Spatial Separation with Wavelength & Velocity

In summary, a wave with a wavelength of 75 cm and velocity of 375 m/s has a spatial separation of 0.0625 m between two points that are 30° out of phase at a particular time. The phase change at a particular position for a time change of 0.5 ms is 90°. These calculations were based on the formula u = λ / T and u = λf.
kgal

Homework Statement

A wave of wavelength 75 cm has velocity 375 m/s.
a. What is the spatial separation between two points that are 30° out of phase at a particular time?
b. What is the phase change at a particular position for a time change of 0.5 ms?

Homework Equations

u = λ / T

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I did not understand what the term "spatial separation" meant so I tried to use logic to understand it. The way I defined it was the distance (or Δx) between two points with Δδ = 30°. I understood that one cycle of the wave is 0.75 m and 360°. I didn't know whether the velocity changes at any point of the wave trajectory so I assumed it was constant throughout the propegation. So what I did was divide 360 / 30 = 12. I then divided the the wavelength by the 12 30° parts of the wave and got 0.75 / 12 = .0625 m. Not sure if that is the correct answer but unit-wise it made sense to me.

b. I used the formula u = λf and solved for f = u/λ = 500 Hz .
then calculated δ = 360° * f * Δt = 360*500* (5*10^-4) = 90°.
Not sure its right.

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks good to me!

Related to Solving Phase Change & Spatial Separation with Wavelength & Velocity

What is phase change and spatial separation?

Phase change refers to the transformation of matter from one state to another, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas. Spatial separation is the physical distance between two objects or particles.

How can wavelength and velocity be used to solve phase change and spatial separation?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks in a wave, and velocity is the speed at which the wave travels. By manipulating the wavelength and velocity of a wave, we can control the energy and movement of particles, which can lead to phase change and spatial separation.

What are some examples of phase change and spatial separation in everyday life?

Phase change can be observed in melting ice, boiling water, or evaporating sweat. Spatial separation can be seen in the separation of oil and water, or the separation of different colors in a rainbow.

What are the key principles behind solving phase change and spatial separation with wavelength and velocity?

The key principles involve understanding the relationship between wavelength, velocity, and energy, as well as the properties of the particles involved. By adjusting these factors, we can control the movement and behavior of particles, leading to phase change and spatial separation.

Are there any potential applications for using wavelength and velocity to solve phase change and spatial separation?

Yes, there are many potential applications, including in industries such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. For example, understanding how to manipulate wavelength and velocity can help with designing more efficient chemical reactions, creating new materials, and developing advanced technologies.