Solving pH of an Aqueous Solution of Weak Acid HCOOH

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the pH of a solution of a weak acid with a given concentration and Ka value. The person asks for help with writing the equilibrium expression and receives clarification on the correct Ka value. The conversation also mentions checking the calculation of pH.
geffman1

Homework Statement

hey guys, I've got a prob, i kinda know how to do this question but i can't get past the first step. i want to write an equilbrium expression by I am not sure what the chemical reaction is. any help would be good

Homework Equations

A solution of a weak acid, HCOOH, is made to a concentration of 0.689 mol / L. Calculate the pH of this solution.
Ka of HCOOH is 1.8 x 10-4.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The reaction of acetic acid in water (after actually dissolving) is a neutralization reaction. The water acts as a base. Also, for writing the Ka expression, the concentration of water does not effectively change. Since it is essentially constant, it is not written as part of the Ka expression.

Your reported value for Ka is one magnitude wrong. It should be 1.8*10^(-5), which is ten times smaller than the value you showed.

Last edited:
Actually question is about formic acid and Ka value of 1.8x10-4 is correct.

Check calculation of pH of a weak acid lecture.

Borek said:
Actually question is about formic acid and Ka value of 1.8x10-4 is correct.

Check calculation of pH of a weak acid lecture.

Very Good. I understand.

Related to Solving pH of an Aqueous Solution of Weak Acid HCOOH

1. What is pH and why is it important in chemistry?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of different substances, as well as their reactions with other substances. pH also plays a role in many biological processes and is essential for maintaining the balance of our body fluids.

2. How is the pH of an aqueous solution of weak acid HCOOH calculated?

The pH of an aqueous solution of weak acid HCOOH can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([HCOOH]/[HCOO-]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant of HCOOH, [HCOOH] is the concentration of the weak acid, and [HCOO-] is the concentration of its conjugate base. Alternatively, you can also use a pH meter or pH indicator to measure the pH directly.

3. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid is an acid that dissociates completely in water, producing a high concentration of hydrogen ions (H+), while a weak acid only partially dissociates, resulting in a lower concentration of H+. This is reflected in their respective pH values, with strong acids having a pH of less than 7 and weak acids having a pH closer to 7.

4. How does the concentration of a weak acid affect its pH?

The concentration of a weak acid directly affects its pH because it determines the ratio of undissociated acid to its dissociated products. As the concentration of the weak acid increases, the concentration of hydrogen ions also increases, resulting in a lower pH. Conversely, decreasing the concentration of the weak acid will result in a higher pH.

5. How does temperature affect the pH of a weak acid solution?

The pH of a weak acid solution can be affected by temperature through its effect on the equilibrium constant (Ka) of the acid. As temperature increases, the equilibrium shifts towards the products, resulting in a greater dissociation of the weak acid and a decrease in pH. Conversely, a decrease in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the reactants, resulting in a lower dissociation and a higher pH.