Solving Pe + Ke Problem for Block of Mass m and Height h

• Thread starter vysero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a block of mass m and height h sliding without friction up a hill rise of height (3/2)h. To make it to the top, the block must have a minimum initial speed. The equation Pe+Ke = Pe(f) + Ke(f) is used to determine this speed. The algebraic steps are shown and the mistake of using the incorrect height is pointed out. The correct answer is (3gh)^1/2.
vysero
A block of mass m and height h slides without friction up a hill rise of height (3/2)h as shown. In order to make it to the top of the hill, the block must have a minimum initial speed of:

Pe+Ke = Pe(f) + Ke(f)

I tried figuring out what the velocity of the block would be if it had slid down the hill. I was assuming it would require that amount of velocity to go back up the hill (maybe I assumed wrong). The answer listed is (3gh)^1/2 However my answer was (2gh)^1/2. The block has a height h but I don't understand why the size of the block should matter. Nor do I have any idea of how to incorporate that fact into my equation, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
vysero said:
[ b]A block of mass m and height h slides without friction up a hill rise of height (3/2)h as shown. In order to make it to the top of the hill, the block must have a minimum initial speed of:[/b]

[ b]Pe+Ke = Pe(f) + Ke(f)[/b]

[ b]I tried figuring out what the velocity of the block would be if it had slid down the hill. I was assuming it would require that amount of velocity to go back up the hill (maybe I assumed wrong). The answer listed is (3gh)^1/2 However my answer was (2gh)^1/2. The block has a height h but I don't understand why the size of the block should matter. Nor do I have any idea of how to incorporate that fact into my equation, please help. [/b]
Please don't use a bold font when posting a thread.

You're right that the height of the block doesn't matter.

Check you algebra.

Show your work.

Um, when you start a thread it says (without the forward / in the beginning):

[/b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
[/b]2. Homework Equations [/b]
[/b]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

So, the site is asking me to put it in bold, that's why I did it.

In any case here is my algebra in steps:

mgh = 1/2mV^2 (mass'es cancel)
gh=1/2V^2 (multiply both sides by 2)
2gh=V^2 (square both sides)
V=2gh^1/2

The answer suggest that it was raised to a height of 3/2 h. So the bottom of the block was raised up to the top of the hill then.

vysero said:
Um, when you start a thread it says (without the forward / in the beginning):
No. The site assumes that you leave its titles alone and in bold, then after the title you put in your text -- not in bold.

As follows:

Homework Statement

A block of mass m and height h slides without friction up a hill rise of height (3/2)h as shown. In order to make it to the top of the hill, the block must have a minimum initial speed of:

Homework Equations

Pe+Ke = Pe(f) + Ke(f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried figuring out what the velocity of the block would be if it had slid down the hill. I was assuming it would require that amount of velocity to go back up the hill (maybe I assumed wrong). The answer listed is (3gh)^1/2 However my answer was (2gh)^1/2. The block has a height h but I don't understand why the size of the block should matter. Nor do I have any idea of how to incorporate that fact into my equation, please help.
So, the site is asking me to put it in bold, that's why I did it.
I fully understand why you did post in bold.
In any case here is my algebra in steps:

mgh = 1/2mV^2 (mass'es cancel)
gh=1/2V^2 (multiply both sides by 2)
2gh=V^2 (square both sides)
V=2gh^1/2
The hill has a rise of (3/2)h so that should be

mg((3/2)h) = 1/2mV^2 ,

so all will work out fine.

Right I noticed what I did wrong when I was going to sleep, I must have been tired. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the equation for solving the Pe + Ke problem for a block?

The equation for solving the Pe + Ke problem for a block of mass m and height h is:

PE + KE = mgh + 1/2mv²

2. How do you determine the potential energy (PE) of the block?

The potential energy (PE) of the block can be determined by multiplying the mass of the block (m) by the acceleration due to gravity (g) and the height of the block (h). This can be represented by the equation PE = mgh.

3. What is the formula for finding the kinetic energy (KE) of the block?

The formula for finding the kinetic energy (KE) of the block is 1/2mv², where m is the mass of the block and v is the velocity of the block.

4. How do you calculate the total energy of the block in this problem?

The total energy of the block can be calculated by adding the potential energy (PE) and the kinetic energy (KE) together. This can be represented by the equation PE + KE = mgh + 1/2mv².

5. What units should be used for the mass, height, and velocity in this problem?

The mass should be measured in kilograms (kg), the height in meters (m), and the velocity in meters per second (m/s). It is important to use consistent units in order to get an accurate result.