Solving PDE: Is There a General Method or Just Guesswork?

• Thread starter ksoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, there is no general method for solving PDEs, but mathematicians have found ways to classify them and there are different methods for solving different types of PDEs. There is a general method for solving linear PDEs by analyzing the type and conditions of the problem, but for nonlinear PDEs, there is no general method and they must be tackled on a case-by-case basis.
ksoy
[SOLVED] Solving PDE

I am just wondering, is there any gerneral method in solving PDE's or just by guess works??

thanks...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ksoy said:
I am just wondering, is there any gerneral method in solving PDE's or just by guess works??

thanks...

In mathematics there's no room for "guessing".
As for PDE-s,well,mathematicians found a way to classificate them.So far (and more than surely in the future) there has't been found a general method to solving PDE-s,that is to aapply successfully for every kind of PDE.
For example,for nonlinear PDE-s,there is no general method of solving.Analitically,of course.I assume that was the initial question about.
Try to solve (or imagine a way to tackling) somthing like that
[tex] \frac{u^{3}(x,y,z)}{xy^{\frac{6}{3}}z}[\frac{\partial^{5} u(x,y,z)}{\partial x^{5}}]^{7}+5 u^{8}(x,y,z)-12x^{7}y^{\frac{3}{4}}z=0 [/tex]

how about linear PDE??
Is there a general method of solving them??

ksoy said:
how about linear PDE??
Is there a general method of solving them??

Yes,for the linear case,there is.Try first of all to bring them to the canonical form.From there analyze the type (hyperboli,elliptic,parabolic) for every point in the domain of the unknown function.Then look very carefully at the geberal problem and its conditions (boundary type (Dirichlet/Neumann),or initial). Several methods come up then.Green function methods,variable separation methods,Fourier/Laplace transform methods,and so on.
Some equation,after being put in the canonical form may admit immediate integration,and the famous example is the unidimensional wave equation.

Anyway,all these depend from case to case.

Related to Solving PDE: Is There a General Method or Just Guesswork?

1. How do I determine the type of PDE?

There are three main types of PDEs: elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic. Elliptic PDEs involve steady-state problems, parabolic PDEs involve transient problems, and hyperbolic PDEs involve wave-like problems. To determine the type, you need to analyze the coefficients and boundary conditions of the PDE.

2. What are the common techniques for solving PDEs?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference methods, finite element methods, and Fourier or Laplace transforms. The choice of technique depends on the type of PDE and the problem at hand.

3. Can PDEs be solved analytically?

Yes, some PDEs can be solved analytically using techniques such as separation of variables, but this is only possible for simple PDEs with specific boundary conditions. In most cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solution.

4. How can I check the accuracy of my solution for a PDE?

To check the accuracy of a solution for a PDE, you can compare it to known analytical solutions, if available. You can also vary the step size in numerical methods and observe the change in the solution. Additionally, you can use error analysis techniques to determine the accuracy of the solution.

5. What software can I use to solve PDEs easily?

There are many software packages available for solving PDEs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and COMSOL. These software have built-in functions and tools for solving various types of PDEs. It is important to choose the software that best suits your problem and your level of expertise.