Solving PDE by using Laplace Transform

In summary: But when you use the IVT, you're not taking the limit as $s\to 0$, but as $s\to\infty$. The word initial refers to the time domain, not the frequency domain.Yes, that's correct.The word initial refers to the time domain, not the frequency domain.
Markov2
Given

$\begin{aligned} & {{u}_{t}}={{u}_{xx}},\text{ }x>0,\text{ }t>0 \\
& u(x,0)={{u}_{0}}, \\
& {{u}_{x}}(0,t)=u(0,t).
\end{aligned}
$

I need to apply the Laplace transform to solve it. I'll denote $u(x,s)=\mathcal L(u(x,\cdot))(s),$ so for the first line I have $s\cdot u(x,s)-u(x,0)=\dfrac{\partial^2 u(x,s)}{\partial x^2},$ now here's my problem, when I did this problem my professor told me I can't apply the transform to the condition $u(x,0)$ why? Well after this for the third line I have $\dfrac{\partial u(x,s)}{\partial x}-u(0,s)=0$ (1). So we have to solve $\dfrac{{{\partial }^{2}}u(x,s)}{\partial {{x}^{2}}}-s\cdot u(x,s)=-{{u}_{0}}$ which gives a a solution $u(x,s)=c_1e^{-\sqrt sx}+c_2e^{\sqrt sx}+\dfrac{u_0}s$ (2).

Now do I need to use (2) and (1) to find the constants? And after that I need to find the inverse Laplace transform, so far, is it correct?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
Given

$\begin{aligned} & {{u}_{t}}={{u}_{xx}},\text{ }x>0,\text{ }t>0 \\
& u(x,0)={{u}_{0}}, \\
& {{u}_{x}}(0,t)=u(0,t).
\end{aligned}
$

I need to apply the Laplace transform to solve it. I'll denote $u(x,s)=\mathcal L(u(x,\cdot))(s),$ so for the first line I have $s\cdot u(x,s)-u(x,0)=\dfrac{\partial^2 u(x,s)}{\partial x^2},$ now here's my problem, when I did this problem my professor told me I can't apply the transform to the condition $u(x,0)$ why?

You could, actually, but it wouldn't gain you anything. There's no $t$ dependence in that equation anywhere.

Well after this for the third line I have $\dfrac{\partial u(x,s)}{\partial x}-u(0,s)=0$ (1). So we have to solve $\dfrac{{{\partial }^{2}}u(x,s)}{\partial {{x}^{2}}}-s\cdot u(x,s)=-{{u}_{0}}$ which gives a a solution $u(x,s)=c_1e^{-\sqrt sx}+c_2e^{\sqrt sx}+\dfrac{u_0}s$ (2).

Now do I need to use (2) and (1) to find the constants? And after that I need to find the inverse Laplace transform, so far, is it correct?
Thanks!

You can always plug solutions into the DE to verify that they are correct. I would say they are, and yes, you need to do the inverse LT to find the final solution.

Okay but, do I need to find the inverse now for (2) and that's all?

Use the Initial Value Theorem on $u(x,0)=u_{0}$, and (2), to obtain $c_{1}$ and $c_{2}$. Then take the Inverse LT, and you're done.

If I use $u(x,s)$ at $s=0,$ then (2) will give me problems with the third term. :(

Markov said:
If I use $u(x,s)$ at $s=0,$ then (2) will give me problems with the third term. :(

But when you use the IVT, you're not taking the limit as $s\to 0$, but as $s\to\infty$. The word initial refers to the time domain, not the frequency domain. Also keep in mind that you're imposing the IVT as a condition. Incidentally, your (1) really ought to be

$$\frac{\partial u(x,s)}{\partial x}\Bigg|_{x=0}=u(0,s).$$

Oh yes, that now makes sense!

Related to Solving PDE by using Laplace Transform

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to model physical phenomena and is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is used to solve differential equations, including PDEs, by transforming them into algebraic equations that are easier to solve.

3. How does the Laplace Transform help in solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform helps in solving PDEs by transforming the differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is easier to solve. This reduces the problem of solving a PDE to solving an algebraic equation, which can be done using standard mathematical techniques.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform in solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform has several advantages in solving PDEs, including:

• It can be used to solve a wide range of linear PDEs.
  • It provides a systematic and efficient method for solving PDEs.
  • It allows for the use of initial and boundary conditions to determine a unique solution.
  • It can handle discontinuous and piecewise continuous functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform in solving PDEs?

While the Laplace Transform is a powerful tool for solving PDEs, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for linear PDEs, and it may not be suitable for solving certain types of PDEs, such as PDEs with variable coefficients or non-constant boundary conditions. In addition, the inverse Laplace Transform may be difficult to compute in some cases, leading to an approximation of the solution.